Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bzz!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 14, 2000.

1. [​IMG]
    I get an unpleasant buzzing out of my amp when I'm not playing. It...

Decreases when I deepen my bass's tone knob,

Increases as my bass's volume goes up, except when it hits max volume, where the buz reduces,

Increases as my amps high and medium high setting increases,

cuts off when i touch (pull up, push down, hold) any one of my strings.

This buzzing is variable in volume, as to the time and the conditions mentioned above.

The most confusing part is the last symptom I mentioned; muting any string.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like the control cavity on your bass is not very well shielded/grounded. Just a guess.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Davy0:

If you are too close to your computer or your tv with your amp or bass you'll get a hum usually. If theres one in your practice room, turn it off and see if the hum goes away. Flourescent lights can also create lots of hum at times. Try another receptacle that is on another circuit. Very rarely, a noisy power line can create a buzz like noise.

If the bridge isn't grounded it should be. You can check real easy by temporarily touching one end of a piece of wire to the bridge and touching the other end to the output jack on the bass. If the hum doesn't change in volume it's probably grounded ok. If you have a multi-meter you can make sure that you have continuity between the bridge and jack.

I assume that you pups are humbucking. If not, some hum may be normal for your pup configuration.

4. Thanks for the help. How do you shield your bass?