Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 20, 2001.

1. When i'm not touching a string or the bridge, I hear a buzzing noise. When I touch it, the noise stops. Can anyone help me out?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It sounds like your instrument is not grounded properly. Take your bass to a repair shop and have them fix it for you. It'll be cheap and you'll have one less headache.

Will C.:cool:

3. Thanks very much for the advice!
  4. You are having a grounding problem. When you touch the strings you have completed (or grounded) the circut. Some where between bass, amp and wall socket, you are not grounded properly.

Like fixing a car, start with the least expensive item first which would be you instrument cable. Make sure it is an instrument cable and not a speaker cable. Make sure the end are tight and not corroded. Is there a broken spot somewhere on the cable.

Next would be your volume and tone pots. Are they new, old, or cheap? Are the connections soldered correctly? They could just be dirty and need a little spray of electrical contact cleaner.

The same for your pick-ups. Are they el-cheapo pick-ups that will hum for eternity or are they just wired and soldered incorrectly.

Check your amp out. Some amps have a grounding switch or a polarity switch that will help solve some of the grounding problems. Having too many electric items pluged into the same circuit can cause a ground loop effect. This is especially true with other amps, lights and COMPUTERS!

Just remember that your problem is an ELECTRICAL problem and not one with the bass itself.
  5. Thanks very much! Who woulda thought the problem was a loose power coord from my amp to the wall? It can be the simplest things that are often overlooked.