1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C A 6 (Crest Audio)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fcat84, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fcat84

fcat84

Feb 2, 2008
    A good friend of mine has offered a ridiculous low price for the Crest Audio CA 6 model. Any opinions about this power amp? I've been told it's a beauty. In addition suggestions of a possible pre-amp partner would also be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    This is a great power amp. You will like it alot. Its not like the newer light amps but you can't get the punch like this. I bought mine years ago. I a/b'd it against a QSC 1602, with the same pre's etc. Much better eventhough people will say there is no differences in power amps at the same wattage. Until they A/B them. This amp goes great with my Alembic F2B. Very fast sounding and clean. The alembic F2B is a great pre and although some say its dirty it is far from that. Still has a great warm tube to it. Vintage in a way but still has a great low end and highs. The highs are not the tight 10K type. more in the lines of 5 to 7 K. A little more open or wider upper end than narrow, Still good for slap if thats what you are looking for. But a nice finger style high end also. The low end is sick and punchy. A little shy in the mids but still very articulate. I did this gig over the summer where the drummer was good friends with the new Queen's bassist. Well he has been in the band for a few years now. He sat in and played the Alembic, Crest CA6 and Berg AE 410 and my alleva coppolo LM 5. He played and said while playing "I always thought the F2B was the best pre out there." Again its all subjective but its a nice pre with that amp. You will like the crest with it. Here are the specs
    8 Ohm Stereo - 400 W
    4 Ohm Stereo - 600 W
    2 Ohm Stereo - 750 W
    8 Ohm Bridged - 1200 W
    4 Ohm Bridged - 1500 W

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Those Crest are flat out Beasts.

They have an increased Gain Level on the Input of the Amps that many do not have which gives them a deifinate advantage IMO.

The down side is they are freakin heavy.

I sold my CA-9 to a guy who has a large PA, now he has three CA-9's. He loves them and I made a new friend. It definately went to a good home.

I replaced my CA-9 with a QSC PLX2 1804. It is a very good Amp and weighs 13 pounds.

The Crest CA Series of Amps do sound good and have massive Low End Torque.

Good Luck!

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    hmmmmmmm thats a really good idea if I wanted a lighter set up. A 1804 with the alembic. Instead of say a shuttle or Markbass as a light set up. That way I can have a heavy and light and not settle for less power.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would like to here either of the Alembic Pre's with the 1804. Bet it would sound nice.

The 1804 actually exceeds the CA-9 Specs in Stereo.

6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    yeah , Danny used my Alembic F2B years ago.. he had the Demeter and i had the Alembic...we swapped for a few days.. he sold his Demeter.. dont know if he got his own F2B though...last we talked he was doing SVTs..