1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C# application (possible future 11 stringer)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trb6pJM2, Aug 18, 2007.

1. I know this probably really doesn't belong here, but i didnt quite know where to put it.

anyway. My question is, what are the application for the C# string *with proper amp, ie Whappo Grande*. I am just wonder with a string with a frequency close to whale communication *just a joke lol* jk. could be used, it seem it would be difficult for the human ear to differentiate C# from D or D from D# or E.

Do not get me wrong! I LOVE ERBs. I'm trying to get an 11 made at the moment. This is why I'm asking is because i just want to know what advantages there would be to having that than an Ab. I know that can be alot of personal preference, but if you guys could inform me about it, that would be great. :bassist: :D

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The problem with the C# is the string. The problem with the Ab is the string. And then decent amplification for either- power and clarity for the C#, a cab with a large enough range to properly reproduce the latter. Basically, it's not just the bass that you need- it will also entail a very, very significant upgrade in your signal chain if you are going to be able to make use of the range of the instrument. It's a big spend.

Ever time one of these threads come up with a young or young sounding person saying they're going to get a 9+ string bass, it absolutely always leads nowhere. My question is- if you don't know what it's used for, why are you getting it? I'm not saying this will lead nowhere...but I expect it to.

Instruments of this magnitude are expensive enough that it makes sense for you to fly somewhere to try out an instrument with a C# (including maybe some by whoever is building it).

Otherwise, if it actually does get built, it'll probably be on ebay within a month.

4. Seriously calm down, I take amazing offense to you saying that A. I wouldn't play something like that I had built for me
    and B. accusing me of selling it.
    I'm young yes, I know this. I am asking these questions so's that i can become informed of these things, and for your information i plan on driving to the conklin shop before making this spend. I want to know what these problems are, and what must be done to change this, and thus, make it so i do not waste money and end up in position where this happens :bawl: lol. So if you ( or anyone else out there) could expound on these problems, i would be greatly appreciative.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You may take amazing offense to it, but I didn't say neither A nor B, nor did I accuse you of anything.

I just said that in these cases, what usually seems to happen is that there is a lot of talk, a bunch of defensive arguing...and then they don't ever buy the instrument.

Or (and this applies to older folk as well), the instrument get purchased, they expound upon how great it is, and then it's seen on ebay in a month for half the purchase price.

I didn't say that these would for sure happen to you...just that I expect one of them to. I hope not, though! Plenty of people buy them, like them, keep them, and some can even play them! :)

Do a search though, there is a lot of information here and these topics have been discussed a bunch of times. Part of this effort is to do your research and make your own decisions after hearing of other's experiences...and that all starts with the search button up top.

6. thanks, sorry, late night posting seems to bring out the worst in people, ha ha. but okay, thanks, i'll go ahead and pop around here and look for the answers, I hope to be one of the latter groups of ERBists though lol.

7. tempo2112

tempo2112

Jun 27, 2006
    Wirral, UK
    Hiya, I am/was in a similar situation. I now own a "groovetools" 7 string. No C# though, just an F# ;)
    The challenges and problems are similar though. I would recommend hanging out at www.extendedrangebassist.com the guys there are more than happy to give advice to anyone interested. (while not dishing out some of the ignorance and hostility that can be sometimes found here :ninja: )
    There are some great guys here though, John Turner & Pointbass to name a couple.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Paging JAUQO III-X !!!

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    With all due respect I don't have much to offer but I will share a little insight from first hand experience from the ground up.No matter what any one says I have several well functioning Sub contra basses(my concept of Sub contra is a 4 string tuned C# F# B E)and it was I who first introduced the Low C# string(based off of my original concept)and all have my Low C# string on it and it is clear and very articulate.I have used it to make two full length Cd's(the second one will be released very soon)and I have been in the studio very recently recording a Cd library that is geared at producers,the cd features me and a drummer,with out a drummer,individually long sustained notes,individual short staccato notes etc.This particular recording project is very much focused on utilizing my sub contras bass in real groove functioning scenarios

The only company that is offering a Low C# string is SIT(a string that I took to them and we collaborated on it from there)it is also the very exact Low C# string that Conklin offers.

I have read peoples comments about the Low C# string not being audible,it's not well made etc, not true at all at least not for me because the string was my concept and I knew exactly what I wanted so the string works just fine for me.

I use 10's(speakers)because they are extremely articulate and clean for such a low bass frequency(17Hz).A good 410 cab and a minimum 500 watts should get you on your way

there are only two other bass players that I have heard utilizing the Low C# and doing any thing worth checking out on it and that is AL Caldwell and Garry Goodman mainly because I think they understand what it's all about and seriously respect the concept.

The reason I mentioned from the ground up is not to say that I'm the first,toot my own horn or be on some ego trip but because I'm tired of so much misinformation out there about the Low C# string and I feel I can offer real hands on insight so that the OP knows for a fact that he/she will be getting info from first hand experience from the originator of the concept,a concept that I can respectfully and professionally offer hands on advise from live and studio experience.

And there's more that goes into getting the proper responding Low C# string.Body,neck and fingerboard woods and the proper pickups and electronics are equally vital.

Here's a little info for those who may be interested.

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_lowc.html

If you don't mind me asking,who's making your 11 string?

10. Chris Stambaugh.
    I've been talkin to him for awhile now, and we're still figuring out the woods and elctronics, and hopefully I'll get the proccess started sometime this winter to next summer.

I'm not very keen on wood, I don't know much about the tonal properties, but, I will be sure to talk to Chris about it.( i was thinking of doing a buckeye top, or a Brazilian rosewood top if that would make a difference) It's also going to be a single cut with a fan of 36-30, and maybe a Ken Lawrence style Chamber brase 2 flare like jean has on his Joust at the back (that's so it would comfortably fit on my thigh when playing it like a classical guitar {That's how i solo, stole it from John Petrucci lol} when sitting down. Oh... and bolt on

Do you have any suggestions as per body neck and fretboard wood? i would be most appreciative.:D

I'm still kind of on the fence about the whole C#.... It would take alot of power, to pump out a Low C and a High B at the same time... plus, (not a knock on you al or Garry) but i just don't think I would utilize it at all.

11. a Stambaugh 11 string?

thats auto subscribe for me.

12. lol thanks man, I hope it turns out well, it's gonna be awhile before its complete, I hope to make my down payment by christmas but.... :meh:

13. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Chris has been my builder of choice for my last 3 extended-range basses.

He will be building another for me this Fall. The last one, a fan 9 35-30, has been my ERB of choice. Standard tuning in 4ths from low F# to high Bb...though right now, it is tuned a little differently in the lower registers in prep/practice for the soon-to-be-built one.

The std scale 7 & 8 sat, so I sold them...the new owners are very happy.

The new one will be a 10-string fan 33-29. The upper 8 strings are 4ths from low E to high Eb while the lower 2 strings will be variable tunings depending on the song. The range on the lower 2 strings is expected to be around low A and up. I've elected to ask W. Villex to create the pick-up and I will use his electronics. His creations have been proven in extended-range touch-style instruments (Chapman Stick, Warr Guitars) and are recently getting attention in bass guitar applications. Though I am not a touch-style player at present, I believe the Villex electronics package will provide the definition I am looking for from low freq. to high. The new bass will be used exclusively for my solo work. The 9 will return to 4ths from Low F# up and will be used for some ensemble work.

Previous replies about equipment are worth noting. You'll want to have plenty of power. Speakers are a personal choice and experience plays a large role. It could be an expensive ride, or you could get close to "your" preferred sound based upon input from others with experience. It depends on how you intend to use your ERB.

Good luck

14. I was thinking a stewart 2.1, a whappo, and a grande..... but... ehh.... preamp $ pains... It's gonna be 4000 for this setup at the least... ehhh..

15. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Your application will be easier to write in C#, but you'll get better performance with C++ :smug:

16. :D
    But he'll be faster with it sooner with C#:smug:

17. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Jauqo III-X :

I assume we will see/hear at least one of the C#s on September 6th?

I hope so!!!

18. Glad I wasn't the only one who saw the thread title and thought "computer programming":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_sharp

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Two questions. If you have to save up until Christmas or possibly the next summer for the downpayment, how long with you have to wait to purchase the rig that you need to play the thing? It could be multiple years before you can afford to even properly play the thing. Just something to think about.

Secondly, given your reservations about whether or not you would use the C#, it sounds to me like you really aren't sure about the whole thing in general. What's the largest bass you've played up to this point?

It just sounds like the cart is well before the horse at the moment.

20. They've had a nine at the GC by me, but never an 11, obviously, and yes, I know it will take a long time before getting a rig to execute it properly, probably longer than it will to get the bass paid for, but life is all an eventuality, and all I can do is hope... and practice the top 10 strings on a regular amp, with crappy sound.
    down payment, can be achieved by christmas, the summer reference was to when i would have all the money for sure (although i didn't word it like that at all lol) and I don't know if I'm going to wait until summer and pay for all of it, or if i will just make the down payment around christmas/new years, and hope for good financial luck.

The rig IS a big financial problem, being that the cheapest i could hope to do it with is approximately $4000 (El/Whappo grande, stewart2.1, and preamp) but i can shave off 2600 (for the cabs) of that at GC with some financing.

This is a long way off, I know this. My actual thought is that i really need to get acquainted with the instrument with just me and it (and a bass stethoscope) see how it wants to sound, and then i can try out preamps until i find the one that best suits the bass. This is not a big deal, all this means is I can't play for people. But that's just fine, I don't want this just so people can say, Hey look at him, he's got more strings than that other guy, he's bad ass. I'm doing it to "extended my artist pallet."

Boy that didn't make me sound like a hippie. ha ha.