C extenctions: Reusable?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by davidsbass, Mar 21, 2011.

1. davidsbass

davidsbass

Dec 5, 2010
    I've go a plywood bass, and I'm probably going to purchase a new one in the near future. In regards to a C extension, having one would b=make my playing so much easier. Is it possible to remove a C extension and add it onto another bass if needed?

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Fitting the extension to the bass is where the bulk of the labor and cost is, so although it might be possible to move one from one bass to another, it is doubtful that there would be much savings over building a new one. If you bought the KC kit the labor would be much reduced, but still not insignificant. Besides that, you would have touch up work to do on the scroll of the old bass if you wanted to sell it. Better to just wait until you have a bass you plan to keep for awhile.
    Sorry!

3. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    Theoretically, it's possible. Realistically, it's either not possible or more work than it's worth. It greatly depends on the make and design of the extension, and differences in string length and scroll dimensions between the two basses.

If the extension is custom fit to the scroll, the likelihood that it can be easily refit to a new scroll is low. The KC Strings design would be easier to refit than an all ebony extension.

If there is the slightest difference in string length (more than 1/8 inch), chromatic gates or mechanical levers will be completely out of tune. That would necessitate removing the gates and reworking the intonation from scratch. A fingered extension would be simpler in this regard, so I suppose you could remove all the gates except E and move the extension nut.

In other words, unless the string length and scroll dimensions are identical between the basses, I think it would be better to have a new extension installed on the new bass.

Would you be doing this work yourself? What kind of extension do you have?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021