1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

c extension- scroll dimensions ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Rodger Bryan, May 9, 2010.

1. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I have been contemplating getting a fingered c-extension for my db, but am wondering if the front of the scroll may be too far forward.
    Holding a straight edge to the neck/fb joint, the projected line is 3/8" into the front of the scroll...:meh:
    thanks for your help!
    R

2. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Dec 7, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Check the line of the fingerboard top projected out to the scroll. It may be possible to put on an extension without either re-setting the neck or cutting the scroll.

3. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the reply-
    The top of the fingerboard projects to about 3/16" above the scroll. If I were to build it wide and slightly forward of the plane of the fb, there may be enough material to handle the load.

On some designs, I have seen a rather high open string at the nut when the gate is open. Are there any other builders with opinions on what an acceptable max. string height would be, or is this subject to the players tolerance of high action? (and effort in closing the gate) Thanks for your input!

4. Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton Guest

Apr 18, 2010
    I'm not 100% sure if I understand you, but sometimes the best option is cutting the scroll. Usually the luthier installing the extension can make the extension look as much like the normal scroll as possible through shaping the ebony and in some cases even painting the ebony. Honestly if the only way to have a comfortable extension was to cut the scroll I would do it in a heartbeat.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Sure, on a Cremona, no problem. On a fine handmade bass it's a crime.