C extensions

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mpm, Dec 16, 2003.

1. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ok, I now have a Horst/Stenholm and a Fawcett low C extension(s) in my possesion. My question now is how important is it, to those of you who are remotely interested in these devices, the fingering? Do you like the "farthest" (closer to the nut) trigger away to be the C#, considering the open position being the low C? The Stenholm's C# is the trigger closest to the G on the E string (the farthest from the nut), and is closest to the F (closest to the nut) on the E string on the Fawcett. I know this is a little confusing, but those of you that use these rascals know what I'm talking about. It seems like the fingering for the notes lower than E on the Stenholm is/are "backwards". Oh sure, you get used to the "unique" quality of the this but what would be the 'ultimate' fingering? I personally am leaning towrds the Fawcett fingering, makes more sense. The next question in "does it matter where the keys are" problem. Would keys that are activated/de-activated by the left thumb be too wierd? Both extensions seem to want the left index finger activate/de-activate the the mechanism(s) besides the thumb unlocking the E stop. How important is it to be able to "lock down", oh say, the D, rather than the fingering of the key being "momentary"? That might be one way of being able to produce a vibrato the E, although I've since found an intersting method of effecting a vibrato on "closed" strings since. PM me on that one. So what is the "ne plus ultimate" fingered extensions?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I don't think the fingering would matter much to me (personally), but the fawcett finger does make more sense. I'd like the ability to lock any given note down, in addition to the ability to have it stopped momentarily. and I think the keys should NOT be triggered by the thumb.

Mike for president!