Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C extensions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Basschair, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I don't have one, and don't plan on getting one any time soon, and I probably should post this in setup, but I figured I might have a better chance snagging the attention of a DB player who has one if I posted here...

So, those of you who have a c extension...do you have a special bag for your bass, or did you modify an existing bag, or what? Thanks for your input!

2. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    My extension fits in my pre-extension bag just fine. I understand that might not be the case with other cases/basses.

Marco

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Case needed will depend both on the Bass you have and the type of extension you are installing.

I have a fairly large 7/8 Bass with a custom made C-ext. by Arnold Schnitzer. It only sticks up about 1 1/4" over the top of the Scroll. I have a regular 7/8 size case and it fits fine. The newer Chinese type cases called 4/4 or full sized also fits but are kinda snug because of the wider bouts and deeper ribs of my older Bass.

Heres the pics; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MorelliBass/MorelliBass.htm

Years and years ago, I had a 3/4 Wilfer Bass and had a Mechanical Ext. installed. I ordered a custom case as the 3/4 was too short and the 7/8 was too big on the body.. Like I said, it depends......

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info. I have a 3/4 Wilfer, but I had it made with a deeper rib, so the bag is pretty snug as it is. Still, with under 2" of clearance (if that's how it would end up), I could probably swing it. It's more of a long-term possibility with the C-extension.

Ken, other than only wanting the low C, was there another reason why you went with no chromatic stops on the extension?

Thanks!

Paul

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well I have a few concerts where I actually would be better off with a 5-string Bass. I have some lower moving parts in Beeth. 5th...and a few others. I need to finger the notes. Stops will just get in the way. The Mechanical Ext. might be easier but I dont wanna put one on if I am getting a 5-string down the road. I think the simple fingered ext. is pretty easy to use for most things and not in the way when it's not being used either. I have played a 5 and both types of extensions mentioned so I settled for this for now..

6. I've had no problems with my case after getting an extension.

I would recomend turning the finger "thingees" facing down if they stick out over the pegbox when you put it in the case.

What are those called?

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks again Ken. I'm still a little torn. A 5 string would be so far off in the future that the only real choice would be my standard 4 or adding an extension to my standard 4.