1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C.L.F. Centennial L-2000 - Wow!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 24, 2009.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Have you guys taken a look at the

C.L.F. Centennial L-2000
    CLF_Centennial_L2000.

Wow! :eek:

Discuss... :D

2. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Meh- Buildwise, it looks killer. However, it doesn't look like there is a rosewood fretboard option and I'm not crazy about that finish. They would have been better off leaving it a natural ash or a sunburst.

3. $3750 street.

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    *long drawn out whistle*

I should have the hardware powdercoated black on my blond L2K and put it up for sale!

Don't like: Black hardware, #8 untinted neck and insane price for what amounts to a premium finish L2K with a minor charge for a different neck, powdercoated stock hardware, some special decals on the headstock and pickups wound with slightly different copper wire.

Do Like: Blonde finish.

I guess headstock decals and fancy copper wire are worth $2600+

I kinda get it but not really :confused:

5. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I love it, but I don't have the money :\

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they did blonde because it was a favorite of Leo's (something to do with Phyllis Fender being blonde).

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    :(

8. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Ah.... So he figured blonde basses have more fun, eh? :D

Still not fond of the color, though. And $3,750???? Wow. :eek:

9. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    It's one of those colours that you really have to see in person. It looks waaay off in that picture. Blonde is more like vintage white but slightly see-through in that you can just see the grain underneath.

I love mine but then again I really like white basses. :D

10. They are certainly going to be selling some of these. It amazes me how some people have money to burn.

It's cool if you can afford it. But I would rather have four used L2000 for that price.

John

11. I stand corrected.

Enjoy your new bass!

Ken...

12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh

Ok, I CAN see paying $1000 for the 'provenance' of a limited run instrument with these one off features and one off case candy. Plus you know with this being such a limited run the (already good) quality control will be exemplary. I would love to see that colour in person because I know it would look infinitely better that in that little promo pic.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Enjoy your bass! Waiting sucks eh :bassist:

13. GGJaguar

GGJaguar

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm glad to see G&L honoring Leo Fender with the ltd ed ASAT and L-2000. However, I can get an ASAT or L2K with black crinkle hardware, handwound pickups with #42 plain enamel wire AND that was made when Leo was running the company for far less coin. But, I'm more of a vintage G&L guy so I'm biased.

GG

14. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Ummm... as a dealer, what you're stating is below dealer cost. An L2000 with a premier finish and tolex upgrade would list for $1979 and have a Minimum Advertised Price of $1484.25 (and, of course, many dealers would sell them for less). $2484.25 is below dealer cost on the Centenial Model. If someone gave you even close to that price, you got one hell of a deal.

$3750 is the MAP price on these instruments - yes, many dealers will sell them for less but not $2500.

15. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I think to the right people like above, it's still worth it. It's not too over the top compared to some other brands and really I love my l2000 so much that if I were to get a custom bass made by another shop or luthier I'd really only be trying to get the same L2000 sound anyways. I'd love to own like I said but it's darn expensive but sure is pretty.

16. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Excited until post #3

17. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Agreed, I'd rather have a bass that feels great than one that looks great.

18. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I don't think anyone here is dogging it. As I said, I'd like to see a rosewood fretboard option and a choice of classic finishes but most of the response has been centered around sticker shock.

Kudos if you think it's worth it.
    If I had the money, I might as well but it would suffer a neck swap and a refinish.

19. Sorry if some people felt I was slamming them with the above statement. Maybe I should've just said that it seems kinda expensive and not have passed comments like "money to burn".

John

20. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Bottom line.
    You pay for what feels and sounds good to you. :bassist: