C Major: the Television Key

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Aug 20, 2002.

1. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I frequently have the TV on and noodle around on bass as I meander about on the Internet,as is the case at the moment (I've got Bravo's profile of Billy Bob Thornton on,excellent.)
    What is noteworthy about this,you ask?Well,sometimes while noodling on the bass a cool riff or other short musical interlude comes on in a show or commercial and I start to play along.
    I am continually surprised at the number of cues regardless of program type that are in the key of C Major.I haven't been counting but it seems like it's about 5 to 1 against all other keys.
    Is this intentional for some subconcious effect or because more people get a take right the 1st time if they don'e have to worry about accidentals resulting in less studio time?
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i beleive the barney miller theme is in F. :p
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Its because most of those things are done/written by a guy on a keyboard setup and ,as we all know, Keyboardists (even accomplished ones) love those white keys which normally translates to things being in the key of C major.

Its quick, disposable music and since they usually don't have to worry about singers why not create and play it in the easiest key on the instrument, C.
  4. last thread on the list. bringing it back!
  5. Why Wilser? I know recycling is in but really? ):

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh I thought you wanted to show me something. :p
  7. So I not alone at this? I frequently play while watching TV. I play along with commercials, TV show themes (the "Big Bang Theory" for one), and I love to add to the background of Horror/Action Movies.
  8. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The easiest key on the keyboard is whatever the player thinks is easiest. Ask an R&B player to play in his favorite key. He may play something in Eb or F. Church keyboardists probably play more in Ab than anything else. Rock players are forced to play in E, but G may be their "favorite" key. Who knows?

However, someone who is not a keyboard player by trade but is in fact a "producer" may just love the white keys, and will choose the key of "C" very often. That's because of ignorance of other keys, though!
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's not only that - I've been told by singers and singing coaches that singing in C is easiest, as you are not required to sing any nasty semi-tones ...:p
  10. doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I've heard some stuff about psychology in musical keys, like certain keys are known to be good at evoking certain emotions. That could make a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint, another way to subconsciously influence consumers. Of course, the "easy key for musicians" argument is just as plausible.
  11. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why...

12. Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    I like turtles.
    Ha! :D
  13. jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    "It's called Lick my Love Pump"
  14. doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Haha, I actually thought of that when I was typing that post.