C Standard + drop A# 5 string tuning options

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by psychogrande, Mar 10, 2017.

1. psychogrande

psychogrande

Dec 20, 2016
    Ukraine
    I can't choose how to tune my bass to play with my band.
    We play in C standard and drop A#
    My band member tell me, that i can tune it C F A# D# G# And for drop: A# F A# D# G#.
    Also i can tune it to G C F A# D#. Are there more options?

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Tune to A# standard.

Will_White likes this.
  3. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    Why on earth would you use such a pointless tuning? A 5 string is already tuned to B and baritone or 7 string guitars are as well. No special setups required, no lighter strings, no thinking required. Unless you're playing cello repertoire (or actually with a cellist), I don't see the point.

4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Yeah just play in A# standard, you don't want to have to constantly be fretting that A# for most "drop tuned" songs.

Sartori likes this.
  5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, let's see. If there are 5 strings, and if each string can reasonably be tuned to any of 5 pitches (before it either gets uselessly floppy, or so tight it warps the neck), then that would be 5^5 options or 3125 possible tuning combinations. So, the answer is yes, there are other options. Try 'em all!

Or, alternately, just pick one (like the standard one - hey, what a concept!), and get back in the shed and learn the tunes.

6. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    If your band is playing C standard and dropping to A# occasionally, it would probably be best to do C standard and get a hipshot detuner for A#. How's your bass set up right now? If you're tuned for BEADG, A# standard would be better because it won't affect the intonation or have as much tension on the neck as C standard would. FWIW tuning the 5th string down to G is not a good idea unless you have a bass with fanned frets and a longer scale length for the low string. That said, I wouldn't go below A/A#.

All details aside, the tuning doesn't really matter as long as you can hit the notes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I'm about to setup a 5 stings bass in Drop A# (A# - F - A# - D# - G#).

What string gauge are you using?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021