1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

C String Without B string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeypbass, Jun 20, 2007.

1. anyone ever modded a five string to have a high C instead of a low B?

2. Yep. Lots of people do it :)

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The original Fender V from the 60s had a high C string.

4. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I had a Yamaha BB-5500 with a high-c string for many years. This was great for soloing and if you are in a jazz fusion type of band or a situation where you need to play chords it is a fun setup. I have since found it to be much more useful to play a five with the low b. But hey, whatever works!

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yep, it is a common practice.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I keep recommending it for ABG 5-string, on which the low B is a joke. One of these days I'll take my own advice and get one and string it that way. So much GAS, so little $...

7. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Yep. Generally referred to as a tenor bass. Kind of an oxymoron, but it's stuck.

8. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Been there done that, won't do it again. It didn't sit with me as well as I thought it might. I guess that's 15 years of playing a low B for you.

9. I say just get a six string and dont worry about it :D

10. My Schecter is tuned EADGC

11. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    they even sell 5 string packs of strings now with the high C so you don't have to buy a 6 string set, or you can buy em individually. my fodera 5 string set play quite nice

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I almost prefer it that way. I'll take a Hipshot on the E string though.

13. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Sometimes you will have a problem with the nut not being the right size. What I did when I did eadgc, was to lay tissue into the nut along with the strings, just sort of as an experiment. It ended up working so well that I cut off the excess tissue, and still use it like that to this day.

14. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Sorry, correct me if I'm being a bit thick, but why not tune the 5th string to a high B?

I'm a guitarist, so this would make loads of sense to me...do people tune them that way?

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's just the guitar player in you. ;) Tuning to C keeps the strings in the pattern of being tuned in fourths. The B string on a guitar is the "odd duck" that steps out of the pattern of a regular interval between strings.

Obviously you can appreciate that tuning your fifth string on a guitar to a C will throw off all of your chord patterns... not so much for a bass player who is not playing the same barre chords, etc., that a guitar player does.

16. I dig both B and C tunings. Each offers unique chording and harmonics. Neither is superior, so why not use both?

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021