Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

c tuning basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Nov 13, 2005.

1. alright guess. i dont know if anyone else here plays in c standard tuning but maybe. i have a rickenbacker and i want to put it back up into e but my band plays in c standard and i need thicker strings that will not let me to to e. i'm looking into getting a new bass that i can drop into c without having strings on it that will make it muddy and flat sounding without the strings flopping off the neck. any ideas on what type of bass i should look into for playing in c standard tuning without hugh gauged strings. i'm looking to spend 600 or under, but any suggestions are open, i say 600 now but i coudl walk into guitar center and spend 1200 who knows. thanks guys. o yea i play out an swr workingpro700 and mesa cabs, if that helps at all. my sound is usually high end treble, but i love the low end bassy stuff too.

2. In any case you won't be able to tune up to E. If your strings are at normal tension when you're tuned down to C then they'll be way too tight at E.

EDIT: You could put a capo on the bass tuned to C though.

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You could always get a 5 string...

4. Both solutions work...but go with the 5 string. Capo's on basses just look weird to me. That and I am growing a dislike towards capo's due to my guitarist always changing capo positions and throwing me off(also making her play in the wrong key sometimes).

5. yea i have a capo, i'm not a big fan

and sorry i didnt really make it clear, like i would only want the rick to be in e.. the new bass would be like normal tension in c standard, but i want it to sound nice, clear, crisp you know all that good stuff. 5 strings would not be an issue, i would love o get one.. but any specific suggestions??

6. you really cant switch from E to C without having too tight tension bringing it up to E or too loose bringing it down to C, you need thicker strings or a setup adjustment for drop C not to be floppy, and you wont be able to tune up to E with those strings, go with a 5 string if you want both, you can always tune the B string up to C if you want that open note

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Nick Oliveri employs MIM Fender P's for his c-tuning. And he sounds like a peach ;).

Also, I would get one bass and have it setup for C tuning and the other set up for Standard.

8. If you don't mind it's appearance, I strongly reccomend the Ibanez BTB 400QM. It's 35 inch scale is really accomodating for my C# & C tunings with no loss of tension or sound quality (I'm using a 110 guage E string & may graduate to 115), the construction is rock solid and the out of the box tones are more than adequate (although a pickup replacement would really seal the tone deal). I got mine for $350 (used, like new w/case) to accompany my BTB 5'er. I couldn't be happier with mine. Good luck on your search.

9. ok not to should like a jerk BUT THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE THAT ANSREWED THE (second) QUESTION.

ok it goes like this

rickenbacker - back up in e tuning, tinner strings, never to be put back in c

NEW BASS- ALWAYS IN C, thicker strings, never to be put e

i just wanted to know a bass that would sound nice and clear and crisp in c, NOT LIKE THE RICKENBACKER WHEN IT IS TUNE IN C (WHICH WILL BE BACK UP IN E WHEN I GET A NEW BASS)

haha sorry for "yelling" but i had to get the point as clear as i could.

p.s. - i really do not want a five string but if it comes down to it i may.

10. my appologies for skiping over that last post

I use ernie ball Power Slinky string for when i use drop C tunning, i recomend them, as for a new bass any Ibanez or Warwick should do the trick, i have my Ibanez GSR200 in drop C, with the bridge adjusted it sounds fine

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Fender P with heavy guage D'addarios. :D

12. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Does Ibanez make a 35" 4-string Fretless? Thanks.

13. thanks for the help guys (not being sarcastic)

14. After searching the U.S. Ibanez online catalog, I found no 35" scale basses, But if they were to release a BTB fretless (in any string configuration) I'd be sure to be one of the first in line. Sorry to threadjack, PinkTelephone. Just felt compelled to answer. :)

15. Dingwall's another good option.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I suppose you could take any bass you want and string it up with the lower four strings of a five string set BEAD and then tune up a half a step giving you CFA#G#. Open C tuning, good string tension.

17. if you do that make sure u get light gauge strings

18. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey

That's what my search turned up as well. Thanks