Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C.Y.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by and_Justice, Mar 3, 2003.

1. and_Justice

and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    Ok, so my band has been approched by a local musician who now has his own recording studio, as well as booking agency. Basically his comapny wants to help younger bands (like my band; been together 3yrs, ages 19-21) get to the point where universial and sony will look at them. They are doing that for some other bands.

We want to go on the road for a bit, just even as a cover band, be he can do alot more for us.

What kind of strings is he attaching to us that we may not know about? Will he own us in any way? I dont want to get stuck only being able to play in Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please respond with any advice!

2. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Is there a contract? Make sure you read every little word in it, and if there's anything suspicious about it, or anything you don't like, turn it down.

If not... well, you're not bound to this deal, I guess.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    get an entertainment lawyer to look at the contracts.

4. Find out the names of the "other bands" and contact them. Ask them about what the musician is doing and what they are paying him. Unless this dude has legitimate connections, I would say you have as good a chance at getting the attention of a major label as he does.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Great advice so far; one more thing...

Why the rush to go on the road? I'd say that that is something you don't really want to do unless a) you already have a good fan base in the area you are in and it's about as big as it can get there; b) the "scene" for the type of music you do is small in the area you are in.

Going on tour generally won't make you any money unless you are signed (you might break even at best), so people should know your name before you do it.