Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C#

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, May 12, 2004.

1. Any one have a picture of a bass with a C# string? Does it exist??? Sound clips anyone?????

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah there are a few guys on the board that have them. Do a search for 'low C#' and you should find some. I was never particularly impressed with the sound quality as it wasn't very musical but I think things will be better in the future. Could turn out to be a pretty cool idea.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    No, such a thing does not exist ;)

Check out adlerguitars.com... he has one of the few single cut designs that I really like. Although many many people will argue this until the end of time, I really don't find the C# note in and of itself to be very musical, audible, or useful.. I've found that for most people, anything below D on the B string is just too low. High notes on that string, however, are a different story.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    It depends on the context. I have never used a C# string, but I can see situation where going below D on a b string can have great effect. It just depends on what you are playing, and what the audience is used to. Also how cleanly it is reproduced. I know in Gospel and R&B, I like to go lower than a B. But that is what people have gotten used to hearing in those genres. It would take getting people acclimated to these notes that you feel more than hear. B Easy

Myron

6. My 4 string is set up as C#F#BE.
    I originally had it as DGCF, but the guitarist I've been playing with tunes to dropped C#. As long as it's set up right, it plays good, and is intonated all the way up the neck.

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Actually I think they are referring to one octave lower than that. But i may be wrong.

8. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Why low C# and not F#?

Personally - I find a lot of low B sound gets fatiguing to listen to after a while.

The exception for me is Gary Willis for some reason. Probably cuz he's not just hammering it over and over.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There are quite a few basses out there with a low F# (below B). My Warr (for sale!) is tuned to a low F, and it sounds fine.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, you are right. A candy for josh_m :cool: :D

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Same here. Mike Kroeger bores me (not saying he's not a good bass player or anything) because of all his super-low playing. I find Gary Willis, and some others (let's not forget Oteil) very tasteful in their use of the low stuff. And JT's playing fits his music well as well.

12. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    heheh... I don't play that low, I've tooled around on my friends 6 string but really have no interest outside of 4 strings. I am buying a fretless 5 soon just because, I think it'll be fun to hit low C everyonce in a while. The closest I've come was playing a DB with a C extension for about a week.

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    man do i love playing low down on the B string... i imagine that you'd need some serious subwoofers and wattage to produce notes almost an octave below that.

how would a dbx 120xp or similar handle something like that?

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks, man :)