1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale c1949 American Standard double bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by FiddleFixr, Jul 10, 2018.

1. FiddleFixr

FiddleFixr Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Ontario
    Luthier - Jan's Fiddle Farm
    Yes this one had a break at the top of the neck a base of scroll box but not the lower heel.

I was thinking of re-sticking some of that veneer bubbling last night, but took a good second look and thought that's ridiculous. There's nothing loose or buzzing, I'd just be re-doing someone else's work which holds fine. So I'm leaving it the way it is, call it character of an old road dog. Anyone who's paranoid of a bit of veneer repair on vintage ply instruments should probably be looking elsewhere.

Jason Sypher likes this.
  2. FiddleFixr

Sep 22, 2016
    Ontario
    I was playing around with a false nut on this thing, and learned that the string length is only 43", not 43.5 as I originally posted. With a 1.5" false nut the free string is only 41.5" and makes it a "D" neck. I'll include the nut in the sale along with a vintage German made bow (its going bald) for my measuring ineptitude. The (maple) nut is far from perfect but will give you an idea of what it would feel like if you're to install a true nut to shorten string length. I'll edit the original posting now.
    IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG

3. FiddleFixr

Sep 22, 2016
    Ontario
    Bow weighs approx 140 grams
    IMG_2248.JPG

4. I forget what mine is, it's pretty long but I have to say that I never think much about that. I backline basses all the time and never once pulled out a tape measure. I just settle into it and find the scale. If anything I find it just as hard to play a shorter scale than a longer one. It's just a matter of mapping it out. The long strings make a might sound!

5. What a lovely bass ! Please tell me where are you located ?

6. FiddleFixr

Sep 22, 2016
    Ontario
    Located near Lion's Head, Ontario.
    It's on the 45th parallel so technically I live half way to the north pole.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I was on the area and checked out this bass and some others Jan has. It plays very well and is buzz free. It has the typical American standard over stand and neck projection.

Nice bass for the money

8. FiddleFixr

Sep 22, 2016
    Ontario
    price drop to $1400 obo