Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C2B3 Big Eyeball In The Sky

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Well I picked this one up earlier today, and I have only gotten through 3 tracks (on the 4th) and so far I must say this is an excelent album so far.

The keys add a lot to the music, and brain is excelent in this with the perfect amount of drumming too keep everything extremely funky.

Les' tone is quite different in this album, it is more analog sounding, and fuzzier. Exeptional warmth to the tone, but not typical Primus tone.

Buckethead's playing in this is amazing, whether if he's ripping your face off with one of his solos, or adding things to the groove.

Such a great cd (so far, will post complete review after I finish the cd)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Agreed. +1 Me too. Yep.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Listening to it right now.......love it!!!!!!

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    AWSOME CD! Les' tone is quit a bit different in this cd... A lot more bassy and fuzzy, I think. A few songs sound like his classic Primus tone though. He really comes up with the funkiest licks in this cd, that fit perfect with the drums, guitar, and keys.
    Buckethead's playing is AMAZING on the CD. The solo on "Buckethead" (Track 1) is definitely mind blowing.
    The keyboards in this really add a lot to the songs also. They really stand out, and there are a few really cool keyboard solo's.
    And the drums are very very good also. Brain is one of the coolest drummers, and him and Les seem to fit really good together, again.
    Definitely pick this CD up if you are into Primus, Buckethead, or are looking for anything funky, and different.
    *9/10*

5. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I agree as well. I was never a huge fan of keyboards, but after listening to some of bernies parts, i have changed my mind. Every song is great

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    WHOA! I can't believe this album is on Rhapsody! The stars were properly aligned for me to hear this one because I had actually called to cancel my Rhapsody service because we just can't afford it right now but the customer service guy said they'd give it to me for free through Nov. 8th and then if I still can't afford it I can cancel. So woohoo!

I'm listening to Elephant Ghost right now and it's a phat track.. Maybe me favorite one so far.

I love Rhapsody...just like C2B2 they also had Medeski Martin and Wood's new CD available for streaming or burning the first day it came out.

Another thing I realized yesterday is that Rhapsody has a deal with Jambase where they carry a bunch of bootlegs of various bands' concerts. Yesterday I was listening to some Umphrey's McGee boots and the day before some Particle shows.

brad cook

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Went to Border's last night to buy it and they had never heard of it, nor did they have it. Searched their database, but alas, no C2B3. :(

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I just got this CD today and I have to say, I'm on track 7 and not impressed yet.

With a couple of exceptions (Junior and Buckethead) it seems like the whole album is just the same song over and over again. Also, it seems like none of the players are ever on the same page and one or the other is always playing something inappropriate or from a style that's NOT in the song.

Although I did really like Junior (Song 6) and Les' bass tone is really cool.

So far, it's a 5/10.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Are you kidding me?! How is Elephant Ghost even remotely the same as Thai Noodles? Or how is Scott Taylor like Tyranny of the Hunt or Hip Shot from the Slab?! :confused: That is the statement of someone who is focusing in on one aspect of the album...like Les's tone or playing style for instance. If Les's tone or voice was the focus of your listening then one might say they all sound the same but if you're listening to the overall songs then that is an irrational statement.

Maybe you have track 7 on repeat and don't realize it. That would explain it. "Man...every song sounds exactly the same! What gives?!"

brad cook

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    After listening to the whole thing through I'd say my favorite tracks are Elephant Ghost, the title track and Ignorance is Bliss.

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did anyone catch this line off the first song:

"In his youth he looked at Jaco with gleaming admiration."

:)

brad cook

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    OK, it gets better as it goes on. I'll give it an 8/10 after having listed through it all. The solo spots are also all really good. I forgot to mention that before.

I think it's mostly the bass and drums that sound the same through a lot of the album.

Ignorance is Bliss is awesome.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now that I can agree with. :bassist:

brad cook

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Found a place that had it today, so I picked it up. It then proceeded to impress me quite a bit - a stellar cast indeed! Buckethead, particularly, is obscene.

Also picked up a used Lonnie Liston Smith double CD that contains 4 of his late 70s albums, 3 of which feature Marcus Miller. A nice find indeed! :D

15. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I wish les would not "sing" and just play. Buckethead is awesome. Bernie offers some nice b-s, clavinet and sythesizer.

16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, Buckethead is so incredible. Everything i've ever heard from him has so much depth to it, more than probably any other musician i've ever heard. I'm listening to "Bucketheadland 2" (which I bought with "The Big Eyeball in the Sky"), and it is amazing.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I've always found Les's music (or projects) to take a couple times of listening to get to really like it. I do believe this is some of his better playing. What can I say about Buckethead? .....................wow. I like him better with C2B3 than with guns & roses anyday!

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I can't turn this CD off!

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I soooo want this CD. Is it even available in Europe?

20. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI

well.. judging by the line "moonwalked through the garden of his Disneyland Vacation" im gonna throw out a guess that its not Jaco but Jacko... but then again, who in bass hasnt spent time looking at Jaco with "gleaming admiration"? this album does rock though, just picked it up tonight. it grows on ya too... im liking each song a little more than the last every time i give it a listen. maybe its just that its late and getting later... =)
    pax-
    -Tom