C370S - Corelli Vs Obligato

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ejuzek, May 31, 2003.

1. I´m about to change my Spirocore (on my Romanian Double Bass)... And the Options are the Corelli C370 Vs Obligato.... Any Idea or recommendation ???
  2. JonB

May 27, 2003
    After using helicores for years, I tried Corelli 370TX (extra forte tungsten) for a few months and recently put on a set of Obligatos. Both are excellent strings, but naturally have different characteristics. See what Bob (AH) says on his web site. (urbbob.com)
    Most of my playing is jazz (pizz) using an amplifier, but I think the Corellis bow a little better than the Obligatos.
    I don't know, on my bass, the Corellis seem to have more of a center to the tone and may actually be a lower tension string than the Ob's. They feel that way, anyway. The G string is pretty thin, which bothers some people. They have a fairly dark sound for a steel string.
    Having said that, the Ob's are very easy on the fingers, and speak faster, making high speed tunes work better. They have good sustain, also, and a very nice growl on low notes.
    Confused? Me too - I'll be going back and forth between these for a while.
    BTW, the Corellis are a bit less expensive, with the 380s (nickle wound) being quite affordable.