1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale Ca. 1850 Tyrolean Flatback

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by secondbass1964, Apr 18, 2018.

1. secondbass1964

secondbass1964

Apr 17, 2018
    Price:
    $6000
    Strings:
    Tyrolean flat back, circa 1850, reddish-orange. Varnish appears to be original. This bass had a top-off restoration two years ago and has had no issues since.
    String length 42, upper bout 20.5, lower bout 24.5, rib thickness 8", body length bottom to button 43.5. Powerful sound and ease of play.

Attached Files:

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Curious about the dark color separations in the top and back. Is it actual wood there or some kind of filler? Was a neck block installed after its "accident"? Where in Missouri is the bass? Who did the restoration? Thanks!

3. secondbass1964

secondbass1964

Apr 17, 2018
    The color separations are simply the varnish. There is no putty in this bass. As you can see from the attached photo, the bass retains its original foot and an area around the foot on the back has been doubled for strength and stability. I don't know that this bass was ever involved in an accident, however with a bass of this age, who knows? The restoration was done by my partner, Jamey Logan. We are located in Kansas City, MO. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or you may want to contact Jamey Logan directly. He can be reached at 816-521-1081. Thanks for your interest.

Attached Files:

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  4. O_O

5. Would you consider trades?

6. secondbass1964

secondbass1964

Apr 17, 2018
    Possibly. If you would like to call me, 816-521-1081, we can discuss. Thanks!

7. Daniel Loomis

Daniel Loomis

Apr 25, 2018
    This bass looks beautiful (and looks like it sounds great). I am from St. Louis but in NYC now. If I was still in Missouri I would love to drive over and check it out! If I'm back any time soon I'll look to see if it's still for sale ;)

Slapfiddle likes this.
  8. secondbass1964

secondbass1964

Apr 17, 2018
    Absolutely! It really is a great sounding, solid bass. Thanks!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021