CA as pore filler?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Hi, I was feeling lazy yesterday and didn't want to mix up epoxy (which I use as a pore filler) for such a small job as finishing the headstock veneer plate and a small piece of wood I used to cover the neck extension into the body (as used on my designs), so I used some CA (medium viscosity) as a pore filler and it worked great! I have a nice flat area that was easy to apply and sand. Nitro is going over this, anybody got any comments on this?
  2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I've got a question too actually,

Does it take a long time to dry? Or do you have to be super carefull with the thing for a couple of hours until it dries?
    Or do you spray some of that CA accelerator stuff to it?

How is it to sand back?
    Is it a pain in the @ss like epoxy, or easier ?
  3. well, I can answer those:
    it takes quite a bit longer to cure when it's in big quantities, it's not like your spreader tool is gonna stick to it. I'd say about 1-2 minutes to get sticky and about 5 to completely cure. I used a small brush applicator and didn't have any problems. I didn't use any accelerator.

It's a joy to sand! it's not at all like epoxy where it loads your sandpaper in a couple of strokes. I think I used a hard brush to clean the sandpaper every 10-15 strokes or so. The sandpaper I used still feels like it's got much life on it.
  4. I once carved a wishbassesque bridge piece from a small piece of wood and used CA to give the soft wood I was using a bit more stability...

I found that the same filled the grain readily and was quite easy to sand...

CA dries a bit more "crumbly" (if that describes it right) than a result, i think it pulverises and flakes away from the sandpaper more easily, whereas epoxy tends to stick and load up the paper...
  5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I use it to fill un-even areas in spalted tops. I use lots of thin coats and sand in-between....t
  6. Ed R

Ed R

Oct 25, 2005
    I've been using CA on headstocks for pore-filling for a wwhile. I don't recommend it on larger areas, like bodies, but only due to the fumes. IT works well for me, I usually only use it on areas that will get an opaque finish. THe guys are right, it sands much better than epoxy and it leaves a nice satin finish.
  7. Fumes can be a problem, do it in a ventilated area and get a fan on it (helps it dry quicker too) other wise you will be crying like a baby.

I used to use CA for my inlays as well but it can leave shiny ares on the wood it has soaked into around the inlay, this is only a problem if its on a un-lacuered area.