1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CA college current/former college students...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Mike Money

    Mike Money In Memoriam

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My girlfriend is gonna be in college in 2 years, and we are trying to figure out how she is gonna pay for it without her parents forking it over...

    Her dad is of native american origin, but his parents didnt have birth certificates proving they were native so she can't get any help there... then her mom is hawaiian so we are thinking their should be a minority scholarship program for her from that... but we cannot find out what qualifies you as a minority and what financial aid is available to you...

    help please?
  2. If she has good grades, her ethnicity should help her get a good scholarship, if her family isn't that financially bundleful then the scholarship will be better. But I'm sure she will get a comterfable one if she looks.
  3. Gabe


    Jan 21, 2003
    You know, she could always try normal scholarship programs. I hear even white people can apply:eek:

    All kidding aside though, why not ask your school guidance councilor.

    Edited for typo
  4. Mike Money

    Mike Money In Memoriam

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    its not an actual money issue, her dad works for some oil company and gets sent all over the world and stuff...

    she will... this whole thing started with me jokingly suggesting her moving out, but then she said her parents wouldnt help her with college... then i brought up scholarships... then we were just dieing to know... and it will be good to know for future reference.
  5. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole Supporting Member

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  6. Finger Blister

    Finger Blister

    Jul 8, 2003
    My family is dirt poor.

    I worked my ass-off to put myself through a
    California University.

    Not much sympathy here.

    Talk directly with the head of Admissions.
    They're always ready for a sad story and
    a missing Birth certificate. They may be able to
    work around it. (Father and Mothers B.C. may be enough).
  7. ZuluFunk

    ZuluFunk Supporting Member

    Apr 14, 2001
    Join the Army and get the GI-Bill/Army College Fund.
    Or join the National Guard and take the loan repayment option.

Share This Page