CA Glue Turned Green On Redwood Burl

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Feb 20, 2010.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Fretwire is normally "nickel silver," which is a white brass, always consisting primarily of copper, with a fair amount of nickel, and usually zinc. I have found the most commonly available alloy to be C770, which is .55 Cu, .27 Zn, .18 Ni, with traces of Fe, Mn, and Pb. Most fretwire is stated as 18% nickel, and so quite possibly is C770.

12% nickel fretwire is also available, and is possibly another common alloy, C792, which is .615 Cu, .255 Zn, .12 Ni, .01 Pb.

Hence I would think the the most likely cause of green corrosion found on frets would be the copper.

2. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have filled a lot of redwood burl with CA glue and not had that happen. It does look cool although it would be up to you to convince the customer that it looked cool too. :ninja:

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    It is possible with the high copper content but nickel would still be the anode to copper. I would say that it is a coin flip at that point and only a picture could help determine which metal is going green.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I like this idea.

5. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I don't know, what alloy is it, it's not regular (Dunlop, Fender.. - I think they are regular "nickel silver" alloys ) fretwire, but something harder. not SS, but harder than usual.
    It may still contain Cu, I think.
    As I remember, my "regular" frets also like to turn a little greener at the ends, where my hands touch them.
    may not related with my hands, though..

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021