Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CA Guitar Trio with Tony Levin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by paul, Aug 27, 2001.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    While looking over Tony Levin's site I came across this site that's got streaming video of 2 entire sets of the CA Guitar Trio & Tony Levin. Quite a group - I'm looking forward to hearing them in person this weekend... with any luck I'll get Levin featured on TB :)

http://www.primeticket.net/shows/cgt/

2. Excellent stuff, Paul! I love it. Thanks for the link. All of a sudden, I'm feeling very... Arabic (after having watched the 1st video).

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Paul, they are incredible in concert... I had the pleasure of seeing CGT w/TL at Nearfest earlier this summer, and they blew me away. I've seen CGT themselves a few other times, and each time they put on an incredible show.

Have fun and enjoy! :D

4. Thanks for the link Paul, and enjoy the show this weekend. With any luck indeed! :)

5. Holy cow.......I just took my beaux to Poor David's in Dallas to see CGT with Tony and Pat Mastelotto on percussion. Jaw-dropping show. I'm a big Levin nut, so of course I was in awe. I heard of CGT through Levin's site and was eager to hear them perform as well, and I was not disappointed.

They performed a stunning cover of Discipline by Crimson, and Heart of the Sunrise by Yes. Plus they did this mad improv right in the middle of Ellington's Caravan. Awesome.

I was also impressed by how personable they all were, hanging around after the show signing things and talking with the audience. These guys appreciate their fans.......they snapped photos of everyone and Tony already has it uploaded to his website.

If anyone gets a chance to see these guys, go go go! You will not regret it!

6. While looking over Tony Levin's site I came across this site that's got streaming video of 2 entire sets of the CA Guitar Trio & Tony Levin. Quite a group - I'm looking forward to hearing them in person this weekend... with any luck I'll get Levin featured on TB

Paul-
    I don't think you'll have a hard time doing that, unless the man is super busy. He answers email personally from his site, and I've seen live online interviews with him and his fans in the past. He's a very, very nice guy.

Hope it happens!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw the CGT at my local Borders and they were one of the most amazing acoustic live sounds I have ever heard - the guitars were so "in tune" that they sounded like one instrument rather than three - like a giant harpsichord sound! ;) The range of sound from just three acoustic guitars (no effects!)was incredible.

Their range of material was quite awesome as well - from "surf" guitar to Mussorgksy's "Pictures at an Exhibition". As others have mentioned they were very friendly and hung around talking about the music with the audience after for quite a while.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As Tony doesn't tune in fifths, I declare that he be excommunicated from the group. Same with Pat. :)