1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CA9 users : rack cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uziel, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    in what rack case do you have your ca9 ? i cant find one deep enough...
    and, how do you rack de back of the amplifier ??

thx !

2. I have some experience with this... If you really want to rack that heavy sucker, the Mesa Boogie SUS-4 shock racks work fine and is plenty long enough, but it effectively doubles the carrying weight.

I put mine into a 2U SKB rotorack. It hangs out the back and is as ugly as all get out, but it has a handle for easy carrying and can stand in a vertical or horizontal position without adding much weight at all. I don't ever really need to look at it, so I stow it behind my cabinets on-stage.

3. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    thx for the reply oddio

the ca9 will be racked along with my (coming) TD1...
    how much weight your SUS4 with the STT1 and the CA9 ? is it the 22" version ?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A standard SKB rack case (not the roto rack) of three or more spaces will fit a CA9.

I found out the hard way that the 2 space SKB will not work because it's 3/4" shallower than the others. By "not work", I mean that the rear lid will not close because the CA9 sticks too far out.

Some here have said that the Gator 2 space will work.

5. TD-1? Sweet! It's really an excellent matchup with the CA9.

The TD-1 with rack ears weighs almost the same as the STT-1. The SUS-4 I have is the 22" model with rear mounting rails, extra shocks (below the amp), wheels and a telescopic handle. In this configuration it weighs in at just below 100lbs with both the preamp and CA-9 installed.

FYI - I don't bother with the rear cover on my 2U rotorack when the Crest is installed. THe Crest is built like a tank, and the rack really just serves as a carrying handle and feet.

6. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    i should receive the CA9 this week, same for the TD1 :hyper:
    i've a Furman PL Plus II and a DTR1000 in my old (too short) 6U rack... do you think they are usefull or i should just get a 4U cab with only the ca9 and td1 ? (the SUS4 didn't exist in 6U)

the SUS4 seems perfect for my need...
    it's seems to be one of the best shockmount rack, and one of the lightest ?

when they say 18" or 22", is it the total depth or the rackable depth ? the 22" have four handles i'm right ?
    does they all have the "springs" to support the back of the amplifier ?? it's very usefull for the long and heavy CA9 !

and the last one... where can i find one ?

7. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    where can i find a new one ?

8. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I have one of these that's in brand new condition. I bought it for my Bass 400+, which I ultimately decided not to keep. Are you interested? It's the long case with the casters and telescoping handle.
    - Greg Backstrom

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have mine in a gator rack, and its perfect. It hangs out a tiny bit, but has enough room. I keep mine in a 2 space, because its heavy enough as it is, without adding size and weight to the equation.

10. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    i prefer to carry only one rack...
    does anyone figure a way to use the rear rack ear on the CA9 ?

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    bump for more info

12. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    i heard about L-bracket made by Penn Fabrication... but cant find them