1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab advice... I need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBEgo, Apr 14, 2010.

1. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    I currently have a modified Ernie Ball Musicman Audiophile 212 that I like for its barky midrange. But it doesn't have the bottom I want. The modification was replacing the old heavy B&C drivers with Emi Neos. Took about 30lbs off the cab, and made it sound really good.

I also have an Eden D212XLT that I got cheap cuz it's been beat to Hell. The carpet is all torn and it looks like it fell out of a van at about 60 miles an hour, and got some major road-rash somewhere along I-5. I like the scooped tone and big bottom of the Eden a lot, but I always felt like it could never get loud enough on a decent size stage. During a summer park show in Apple Valley, there was a ground loop that produced this horrible, piercing high frequency sound, and it fried the tweeter in my Eden. So I've got this potentially great cab that is a shadow of its former self. I know, I know :bawl:

Dilema: I have 2 cabs that look like Hell together (terribly mismatched), don't sound the same, and the one I prefer needs some serious attention.

Getting ready for this year's summer park concerts, I figure I gotta do some maintenance on my cabs, and maybe upgrade. I was thinking about recovering the Eden 212, and replacing the tweeter, and maybe getting a used 410 to complete the Eden stack. Or I could recover the cab, replace the tweeter, and Craigslist both of them. Then I could get something else and not feel like I have to have matching Eden.

Bottom line: I've got about $700 to work with. If you were in this situation, what would you do?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I suggest you invest in a used 410 on Craigslist. For $700, you should be able to get something that will work well for the festivals. The Eden 410 and 212 combination does not sound very good. It growls nicely for pick playing, but the thick tone of the 212 muddies up the 410's vibe.

As for your destroyed cabs, sell the Audiophile cab on Craigslist. The Eden cab is your call if you want to fix it up or just sell it for $50. Running both of those cabs together on stage will not result in a very good tone.

3. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Thanks for the input. Is $450 a good price for a 1999 D410XLT in good condition?

I'm on the fence. Not sure if I want to:
    Re-cover and repair my D212XLT and buy a D210XST 2x10 cab to sit on top of the 212 (I've read that it is a beautiful combination)

Or sell it all, buy a used D410XLT, and save my money.

Or say to heck with it, sell it all and buy one of those Epiphani UL410s with my $700 + whatever I get from Craigslist.

4. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I say jump on the $450 410XLT. Not a bad price at all if it looks good and plays well. It's a loud cab for sure!

Nothing to say about the Epifani 410 - I don't recommend it for a loud rock band. The Eden is much more suited to that.

Get what you like! But for $450, you can save some money and potentially make more from craigslist. Plus, your cab needs will be complete!

5. craigslist, buy new cabinets. good luck!

6. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Thanks again for the input.

So the big question then is do I invest the money in the Eden 212 to restore it to excellent condition?

As it sits, I could probably sell it for $50. But if I invest about $160 into it (re-cover, replace tweeter), I could probably get $350. But Hell, then I might as well keep it.

re: gearhead's suggestion
    I get what you're saying about the 410XLT. Only thing is I really like the tone of the 212. From what I've read, the 410XLT sounds nothing like it. So while the 410 will surely be loud enough for the festivals, it might leave me wanting more booty. I suppose I could get it, and flip it if it isn't my thing.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Buy a new 410 with your cash. Keep the other cabs. Restore/repair them as you get the money. Use each one for the purpose they suit.

Unless, of course, you don't have room for all the equipment, sell something off.

8. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    For the festivals I have done, the soundsystem was always gigantic and the subs were always quite near me. The low end spill-over on our stage was rediculous at nearly every show. What I am saying is that everything below 100hz can probably be Eq'd out of your setup live because you are going to hear and mostly feel that low end from the PA. The 410XLT does have a decent bottom end response with an Eden head while other bass heads do not achieve the same thing. A weird detail for sure. The 410XLT has low mids and growly mids up to yin-yang. Decent low end for sure, but unlike the 212XLT.

Like someone previously said, fix everything, buy the 410XLT and use what you like/need - sell what you don't.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You can store your extra equipment at my place. I will keep an eye on it for ya. :)

10. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Yeah, space is major part of the equation too. It's one of the reasons I've been looking at the 210xst / 212xlt combination.

Weight is another factor. I'm 35, and I already have back problems. Non-neo 410s are freakin heavy. It's the one thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on the older 410xlt.

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    If you honestly think you could get $350 for the Eden if you fix it up, then go for it. You might as well maximize your re-sale value.

I understand the weight. I only have a Backline 210, and I am pondering selling it and getting on the new GK MB lightweight amps when they are finally in the stores. That beast is 70 lbs! Which, for my 140-lb frame, caused a minor muscle pull in my rib cage.

12. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    That hat is freakin cool, dude.