Cab advice needed..Mesa/SVT specific

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Aug 30, 2003.

1. I'll be getting a BBE BMax and PLX power amp soon and will be looking into replacing my SVT410HE. it just doesn't have the bottom end or volume I'm looking for. The mesa cabs seem to have a much smoother sound to them. I am looking for a lot of punch too. Just found out my manager has two roadready R5410(1x15 + 4x10) in her garage. they belong to the bassist of one of her old bands and she is going to ask him about selling one of them.
    What can I expect in diference of sound, tone, volume between the mesa and the SVT. basically what is everyone opinion of this cab. thanks.
  2. I tried all the cabinets I could before I bought one
    I was sure I would be getting an ampeg 810 with an SVT....just positive
    But when I started comparing cabinets I realized ampeg was NOT the best sounding cabinet on the market.
    Not even close (speaking in terms of fidelity)
    What I am trying to say is if your looking for that ampeg sound get an SVT and a 810.
    But there are a lot of manufactures that are destroying them for quality
    I find that the ampeg is VERY muddy in the low mids.
    No real definition and no snap when playing slap.
    I ended up buying a mesa powerhouse 1000.
    It was the second best cabinet I played through
    A local manufacture named DOYLE being the first
    (expect to see this company blow up) but the waiting list for DOYLE was like six months.
    The mesa rocks the 4x10 + 1x15 is a wicked sound
    Now Im not knocking Ampeg there sound is great.....just not mine
  3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    if you do a search on here you'll notice that mesa road ready cabs are highly regarded as great cabinets. it'll deffinately have more bottom then the 4x10 you're playing through, those are pretty thin sounding on the low end when used as stand alones. as long as you use a sufficient ammount of power to push that cab you should be able to get a good ammount of punch from it. try to get one if you can, good stuff.
  4. thanks for the replies, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I just made a great connection at QSC so power wont be a problem.
    thelastofus: I noticed your in Bakersfield. my band and our friends Bleed the Dream played at Jerrys in Bakersfield last night.
  5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    oh yeah, my friends from stereotactic told me they where playing with them, small world.