1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab advice: Peavey BVX 1x15 Black Widow or Marshall MBC115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeyMicrowave, Aug 26, 2012.

1. MikeyMicrowave

MikeyMicrowave

Aug 26, 2012
    Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm kind of stuck on what to do in this situation. I just got myself an Ampeg SVTCL bass head and now i'm looking for an inexpensive and relatively small cab to go with it.

The band I play with (a Ramones esque punk band) only plays 2 or 3 times a month and in very small venues, so I have ZERO interest in lugging around some huge 8X10. 1X15 seems ideal to me.

Anyways, I have the option of getting a used Peavey 1X15 Black Widow for 180 bucks or buying a new Marshall MBC115 for 320. As far as my research tells me, they've both gotten pretty good reviews. This is my first time using a head + cab combo (as opposed to a solid state combo amp) which is why I figure i'd ask some of you guys and get your input. These are my 2 options cuz it's hard to find 1X15 that are rated at 4 ohms, which is what the head requires.

Anyone have any advice on what you think would be best?

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The Peavey 1x15 is large, even for its class. Even so black widows have a great thing going for the price. The 4 ohm I have kicks bootay. Just wish I could sell it. Nobody wants the weight.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I wouldnt want either of those heavy buggers. The epifani UL115 is 43LBS and sounds very nice. I used one with an LMII for about 6 months.

4. MikeyMicrowave

MikeyMicrowave

Aug 26, 2012
    I'm really less worried about the weight of the unit as opposed to the size (which is why i'm opting for a 1X15 over a 4X10 or 8X10) because all I have is a small car to get to gigs. I could always slap a set of wheels on either of em' and just roll them. I'm also on a bit of a budget hence these 2 choices.

5. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I had a Honda 4 door civic when I first bought my Peavey. Wouldn't fit in any door or the trunk. I now drive a much larger vehicle. Not trying to talk you out of it, cause I do like its sound, but that cab gets me 24mpg instead of 36mpg. 15s are great but most need a big cube box. A 2x12 is often similar loudness while being rectangular and fits in cars easier. Still think an SVT into a black widow would be full of win.