Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab & amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philwill1, Feb 17, 2003.

1. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hi all,
    After being blown away by loud drummers and head case guitar players in my band with 80 watt combos.
    I'm moving from a 100 combo to a head and cab.
    My question is I like the avatar 410 and I wanted to get a peavey firebass II to power it. Would this work or is this amp to strong for this cab or not strong enough. I know little to nothing about ohms or rws, program power or whatever. I want some volume and decent tone. I would like to be heard, and I would like to be able to play my strings lightly as I do at home, instead of peeling the skin off my fingers trying to be heard. Thanks for your help

2. Firstly...RMS power...ok now you're ready to learn...

Sorry...Ok...I've played a PV Firebass II and I didn't think it had a lot of tone to give, but YMMV, of course...The Avatar would take 1400W of power...the Firebass would slap 275 into 8 ohms and 475 into 4 ohms...Beware BEWARE of turning up too high or you'll clip your amp(and possibly damage speaker and/or amp) but If it was me, I'd get a 4Ohm to maximize power and then get a power amp(I'd want 1500x2 @4Ohms and a second 4x10) and do a preamp out into the power amp input....Ah n/m(rambling)....Beware of clipping the amp and I'd try to get a power amp soon after...

My $.02

Oh yeah...Forgot something...Try running a Hartke 3500 with only an 18" and competing against a Crate 8x12 with a 200W Kustom head and a 100W Mos-FET Marshall Reverb Twin...And then a drummer.I make them turn down...So I don't fry my 18 again.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    It's gonna take a pretty powerful amp to do damage to the Avatar 410. I run my R1000 to it (8ohm load--max 700 watts) and I can't take it past 4 or 5 without getting yelled at by the rest of the band (2 guitars and a drummer).
    Get a decent amp or head then you give yourself some room to grow. I agree with DryWater about 4ohm cab if that's all you're gonna look at getting, otherwise get 8ohm cabs so you can mix/match and have more options in the future.

you can run searches on all the ohm info if you're confused about what to do there.

Good luck!

4. I agree with both these guys,get the 4 ohm 410.400+watts through this cab should be plenty loud and if you need more volume down the line the Peavey will work into 2 ohms so you can always add another 4 ohm cab later and get even more power out of that head.

5. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Thanks guys for your much needed help.
    I'm gonna order the 4 ohm 410 and then start saving for the pv firebass.