Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab and head from same company

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Mar 19, 2004.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Is it myth or true, that cab and head from same company gives you the best sound and performance? How this fact can be transvered for preamp/poweramp configuration?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No. There may be a better correlation sometimes, but more often you get better results by mixing bifferent brands.

3. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I don't think so. The engineers designing a new amp will use their own cabs for finetuning and viceversa. If you I can afford it I would buy the amp and cab from the same company. I have tried different combinations and found the matching amp and cab always the best.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Uhh, that is good news JMX, 'cause I was on way to get bugatti poweramp and quattro cab to be paired to glockenklang preamp. It would be financial colapse. :D.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm kinda on the other side of the fence,

i'd say that cabs, amps, and preamps of the same brand, will prolly get the most outta those pieces of equipment that the manufacturer sees best.

whether or not that's you, is up to your sensibilities. so, if you really dig the sound of that company, then by all means, all the more reason to buy a rig that consists mostly of that brand.

e.g. i'm a HUGE fan of the epifani sound, and when i found out that they were producing their own line of heads, i nearly flipped. finally getting to try one out was near nirvana for me. :cool:

course, i'm prolly one of the bigger gearsluts here. :smug: