Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab and Volume question (Ampeg vs. Aguilar)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Mar 10, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys I have a theoretical question for you.

Lets take an Ampeg SVT-HLF and an Aguilar GS 212.

The Aguilar has a higher db rating at 103 compared to the Ampegs 98.

However the Ampeg has more speaker surface area (4 10's compared to 2 12's.). Ive always been told more speakers = louder.

So given that both cabs would get the same amount of power (around 600-700 watts), which would theoretically be louder?

2. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    if those figures are true (and they are close methinks) aguilar is louder.
    speaker surface (i'm assuming that's what you're talking about) is already counted into sensitivity rating.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok because I am considering trading in my SVT-410HLF on a Aguilar GS 212 at a local shop. I love the sound of the Aguilar but was worried it wouldnt put out as much as the Ampeg given the the two less speakers.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I checked Aggies site and the GS412 has a db rating of 104. Does that mean that even though it has twice the speakers of the GS212 the overall volume is just 1 db more?

5. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    At the given (probably 1 watt) input power, yes.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes. However, the 4x12 will move more air, so you will probably *feel* more bass.

This is important. At 600-700W the difference between the 2x12 and the 4x12 will be insignifcant. But pump a full 1,200W into the 4x12 and stand back!

7. According to the efficiency specs and power you mentioned the Aggie would be noticably louder. Here's the math-

power-log x 10 + sesitivity = SPL

Ampeg-
    700 log = 2.847 x 10 = 28.47 + 98 = 126.47 SPL

Aguilar-
    700 log = 2.847 x 10 = 28.47 + 103 = 131.47 SPL

A 131db SPL is pretty freaking loud. All specs aside though, the Aggie (to my ears) is a better sounding cabinet then the Ampeg. Yes, I've heard them both. Let your ears decide!

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I actually like the tone of both cabs, although I do recognize the differences between the two. The main thing is the volume.

I have a QSC 1850HD which should supply more than enough power if need be (up to 600-1800 watts into 4 ohms)

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Which shows why the cab is so important. People are so surprised at the volume of my little iAmp 500 and CLX 112 cab since they are so small. The iAmp can do 350W into 8 ohms, so let's do the math:

350 log = 2.544 x 10 = 25.44 + 103 = 128.44 SPL

10. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What sensitivity specs generally don't tell you is what frequency or frequencies the SPL rating is taken at.

[Theoretically] Its possible the Aguilar is louder over the sum of the entire frequency spectrum, but the Ampeg could be equal in the bass and low midrange and just drop of in the upper mids, which (again theoretically) would mean that both cabs require the same amount of power to produce "bass" frequencies.

Someone with more experience here please chime in.

11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The accepted standard is 1khz at 1watt at 1 meter.