1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab build for WW PRO FET 3.2 on a strict budget.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erlkoenig, Dec 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    Hello,
    So I got my first good amp head, and now I need a cab for it. Thinking of a 1-way, with a 12" or 15" driver.
    Been looking at all kinds of drivers and enclosures but I couldn't quite wrap my head around what I want to build.
    Deltalite II 2512 would be top end of budget.
    Looked at Thomann the box speakers, but I didn't find a way to get them into a smaller cab effectively.

so my requirements are:
    -budget friendly (driver below 150€)
    -cab size max around 500l (preferably less)
    -8 ohms
    -full range (passive 4 string bass)

so what I've considered are:
    the box 15-300/8-A
    Eminence Delta 15A, Kappa 15
    Deltalite II 2512

what do you guys think?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  3. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    can I just slap another driver than originally intended in there?
    also would I just literally "saw it in half", woukd that work?

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine built himself a house on the site of his cottage in northern Ontario. They were over one visit and he was agonizing over the roof to install. One was strand shingles. The other metal shingles with a 25 year life span. No this guy was known to be cheap in the extreme. so he chose the standard shingles. On the first storm he lost a lot of shingles to the wind off the lake. The roof had to be redone! The difference in price $250 in the price of a whole house!!

The moral of the tale is that if you are going to go to the time, effort and trouble of building a speaker system to make your new amp shine, don’t short change your musical talent to save a few bucks. Build the best you can. In the end you will be glad you did! :)

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

At bass frequencies no. You’ll get sound for sure but it’s more likely the driver will tear itself to pieces in an unsuitable box. We’re not guitar players y’know.

AstroSonic, alanolynn and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  6. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    well. You are right.
    But I've already upped my budget from absolutely the cheapest of the cheap (which I had in mind before) to beginner class, but brand speakers... and I think I do a good job with that.
    The question is only how now.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Eminence Delta 15A - I wouldn't recommend this for bass, as parameters such as xMax aren't suitable.
    Eminence Kappa 15A would be a better choice between the two. Make sure you don't get the LFA version for your application.
    https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_15A_cab.pdf

Eminence Deltalite 2512 II is a great full range speaker.
    https://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512_cab.pdf

Do you have woodworking skills and access to tools? Do you have experience designing or building cabinets? You may find that DIY isn't a cheaper route to follow, especially if either are poorly executed.

If you can build but not design, order plans for either the BFM Simplexx or Jack for the Deltalite. The Kappa 15A won't be suitable for the Jack, but might be okay with the Simplexx and might also work in a TL606. You might be able to upgrade to an Eminence 3015 later on.
    Simplexx
    Jack
    http://www.realoldiesradio.com/docs/EV/ElectroVoice_TL606.pdf

But in the end, if budget is really tight, buy the best used cabinet you can and forget DIY.

AstroSonic likes this.
  8. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    Thanks!
    So a Kappa 15 LFA and TL606 would be the easiest for me. I have decent woodworking skills, but I am new to cab planning.

I'll look around for resources on that combo, and also what kinda used cabs fly around around me.

9. Honestly, @abarson said it pretty well.

There's a guy named bill fitzmaurice who sells cabinet designs. They can range from a relatively simple series of ported and sealed PA cabinets, to done pretty complicated horn loaded enclosures. The simplex and the Jack series of drivers are booth pretty highly regarded for bass, and a delta light 2512 could be put into 12" versions of either designs. Each design is made with a number of different drivers in mind, with tunings that vary to fine tune to each.

@BassmanPaul put it really well with his roof analogy as well, sometimes it's better to spend more and get a better value. That being said, there are plenty of ways to go about this equation. If you can spring for an eminence kappalite 3015 you'd be very well served by building a half of that johnk10 build, in all honesty. If the deltalite 2512 is your absolute upper limit, it would definitely deserve you well.

At the end of the day though, the best bang for your buck is usually on the used market in just about any budget. DIY is, at least in this context, usually more effective for learning or for tailoring your build to a hyper specific task, though tbh if you need loud it'd be hard to beat a couple of eminence beta 12s made into jack 12 for making the most of your 300 watt head if you've got lots of spare plywood around and the tools and skills to make it worthwhile.

Redbrangus and Stumbo like this.
  10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    No, I explicitly said not the LFA version.

BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  11. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Usually in the neighborhood price-wise with the Eminence drivers that work well with bass are B&C. If you feel you can get by with a 12", the 12CL64 is very light weight and sounds incredible on bass!

Both Eminence and B&C have enclosure designs that maximize the driver's performance for multiple applications (Eminence really just designates internal volume and port specifications).

Last year I bought a Bill Fitzmaurice design and built his Omni 12 design. I chose that one due to it's flat frequency response. I had to make a few modifications to the design to optimize it for bass guitar (B&C 12CL64, adjusted crossover frequencies, used a 90x90 bi-radial horn on the tweeter for more even room dispersion, and a few cosmetic enhancements), and am pretty happy with it. It ended up costing me more than a high end used cab would have because if I was going to build it, it was going to be everything I wanted in a cab.

I have a great cab now, but a build isn't for the impatient or the budget buyer. The one on top I built for the guitarist I play with (2 Celestion V30s). 20191019_083344.jpg

pie_man_25 likes this.
  12. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    oh right I misread. Kappa 15A is good as well.

13. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    The 12CL64 seems like an option. I don't know, would it fit an Fitzmaurice Simplex design?
    Would the 2512 fit better?

A problem of mine is that I don't have any cabs on the used market nearby me atm.

14. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    just buy a used warwick 411 pro (they are really cheap but sound great) and forget the build... GC has one for 250

pie_man_25 and agedhorse like this.
  15. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    that'd be an option too. There are plenty around for ~200€.

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The world is awash with good used cabinets that would cost LESS than building your own. You can try several out and see which ones you prefer rather than guessing with a build.

17. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    yes. The more I dive into cab building the scarier it gets haha. I built my Bass myself and don't regret it.
    But damn, speakers are just borderline black magic.
    I'll look around for used cabs a bit.

18. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    The 2512 and the 12CL64 are very similar. The 12CL64 trades less than 2dB sensitivity for extended low range and would be slightly better for extended range basses in my opinion* see below.

Not black magic, just physics (pressure dynamics and acoustics mostly) and figuring out which compromise gives you the preferred result. *As an extended range bassist with a very powerful amp, I could live with less sensitivity to gain extra low end. A 4 string purists with a 100-200W tube head may see the 2512 as a better choice, as they don't need extension as low and will see a benefit in the nearly 2dB sensitivity advantage.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If the goal is to save money, it's almost impossible to beat a good used cabinet plus you get to try it out before you buy, which takes the "guessing" out of the picture.

I've seen this situation again and again... I have a full wood shop, access to all the parts I could ever need and the design chops to build products you guys play every day and for a one-off I couldn't do it as cheap as I could buy a used cabinet for. I build one-offs for an entirely different reason and when you factor in the time it's a might expensive cabinet even compared with new production cabinets.

dBChad, Heavy Blue and AstroSonic like this.
  20. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig

Jul 12, 2019
    I see your point. I've been looking around for used cabs. I just think it's better to go and get them instead of having them delivered. Now I don't have a license so that's bad.
    I can still ask friends or my parents but you see the issue.
    I like to build stuff myself and learn from it.
    Atm the only options I see are a Kappa 15 TL606 or 12" simplex.
    On the other hand my basement is taken atm by another project.

So yeah, I'll have to wait until someone puts up something useful nearby me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021