Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab-building-help: How to make cab smaller?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 23, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there anything lightweight you could put in an allready excisting speakercab to lessen the volume?

I can get a nice 56 liter cab already put together but the speakerconfig I want to put in it needs a 40 liter cab.
    What can I do accept for cutting off a few inches of the cab?

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I believe you can use styrofoam (sp?) panels that can be bought at home depot. They are used as insulation.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Could I use something like this that is used under a sleepingbag:
    [​IMG]
    It´s made of polystyren as is the Styrofoam.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I went through this recently - I built a box before I knew what I was doing. It turns out it was too large for the speakers. I thought hard about making the cab smaller but decided against it. The only way I could convince myself that it would work is if I used a timber panel and a good sealant to make it airtight. Remember it gets pretty windy in there, and if the air is creeping through, you may as well not have modified the box. This option also adds weight.

The other option was, as you point out, to cut the existing box down to size. But cutting the box would have destroyed the carpet covering, so I'd have to re-apply it. Plus it would also upset the weight distribution of the carry handles, so they whould have to be re-positioned. All up I decided it was almost as much work as re-building the smaller cab.

Ps:- It's nearly finished........... I hope to debut it this weekend.

Pss:- I've got a empty box lying around now. Might have to turn it into something useful :)

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So, Petebass, what you are saying is it wont work with styrofoam? Or you dont know for sure?:confused:

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions for dense and lightweight stuffingmaterial that will work to reduce volume?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm saying that I don't know for sure. I couldn't convince myself that it was worth a shot.

If you decide to have a crack, make sure you do it in such a way that you don't damage your cab. And try and make it reversible in case it doesn't work.