Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab building question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tigersauce, Jun 18, 2003.

1. tigersauce

tigersauce

May 23, 2003
    Ok try to follow me on this one. I have and extra speaker combo cab which used to house a 15' speaker. I disconected the amp and want to replace the 15 and add it to my stack.
    Let me first explain that I know almost nothing about ohms.
    I have a Hartke 4000 head. Which is 400watts at 4 ohms. For speakers I have an Ampeg cab with 4 10's. I'm not sure which model but I know its rated at 800 watts at 8 ohms.
    Now my questions are this. What kind of speaker will I need for the 15'? What am do I need as far as ohms and what not are concerned for the 15?
    Thanks for your help.

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I am not a moderator or anything but I think you may be in the wrong forum, use the search feature and check out "cabinet building 101" there is so much info in there that it will answer all your questions.

3. You need a speaker with the same impedance as your ampeg cab, which is 8 ohms. Then when you run them in parallel your Hartke will be seeing a load of 4ohms so it will deliver maximum watts.