1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab Building Speaker Information

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by borden, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Thanks for reading...

Ok i plan to build a cab to plug with my amp. I Currently have
    2 x 10" 8 ohms speaker and 1 x 12 (unknown ohms). All speakers as new dating around 1970-1975 (Taken out of 1- Farfisa Organ 2- Kimball Organ)

Questions are as follow :

How can i know the OHMS of the 12" speaker..

What wiring do you suggest to get maximum sound, cleanliness etc... i would appreciate suggestions as i don't quite know what to do now.

Thank you for your help!

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Do you have trouble hitting the toilet too? ; }

3. very instructive thank you

4. Possibly a reference towards the fact this would be better serviced in the Amps section of this site.

To your questions: you can figure out the DC resistance of your speaker with the simple use of a multimeter. The problem with this is that the DC resistance is different to a speaker's impedance (a function of a number things, probly most important being the frequency of the signal), which is a fair bit more difficult to measure.

If you're planning to build a cab for these speakers there are a heck of a lot of things that you'll need to know before progressing further. You'll need to figure out or find the Thielle/Small parameters and then do the calculations to determine the appropriate size and port dimensions (if ported), or use a program to do the calculations.

Josh D

5. thanks, that gave me more then expected answers! :)

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Borden, the DC resistance will be a little lower than the rated impedance of the speaker. i.e. 8 ohm will read about 6 ohms, 4 will read about 3 ohms etc.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Indeed!

Moved!