1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab case for vertical stacking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Does anyone here use any kind of a case or frame or rack for stacking cabs vertically? I'm looking for something probably constructed of aluminum or fiberglass, to allow me to securely stack cabinets to a height of 7-8 feet for better sound dispersion in performance (ala the famous Phil Lesh bass "tower"), without danger of the stack toppling over.

I'm planning a new modular rig with multiple smaller cabs, and would love to learn about your experiences with such a configuration, as well as get recommendations about where to source the hardware for it.

MM

2. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Anyone? :meh:

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Take a look at the line array hardware used for PA applications. Should work fine for you, no? Just build your cabs with the right mounting points and you'll be golden.

The QSC website has some pictures of their line array system on it that might get you started.

4. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Say, now there's an idea...'cept that I won't be going the DIY route. I actually have a very specific make & model of cab in mind - the Acme B2. Nevertheless, I will indeed check out the QSC website...

Anyone else?

MM

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're using all the same cabs you can look into the interlocking corners, will stay stable pretty tall but a good pull on the guitar cord has quite a bit of leverage at 7-8 ft. Could try some kind of skids mounted to the bottom cab that protruded front and back and latched onto the bottom of the cab somehow to provide more front to back stability. Some type of shelving system would have to be held together with lynch pins or something to be broken down into a pile of sticks for transport or how would you haul it around? The idea would be to be able to set it up and tear it down without needing a toolbox otherwise you'd have to get to the gig early and stay late.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Before embarking on the line array route thoroughly investigate how line arrays work. Once you do you'll find that the vast majority of commercial muti-way cabs are not suited to line array use.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can easily stack two Low-B2s vertically with a rack on top. If you want to add a third then I'd put the rack on the floor instead.

I wouldn't try four vertically without some sort of rig to hold them in place - however if you position them as in an 8x10" then you shouldn't experience comb filtering as the woofer centres are closer together than the wavelength of the frequency where they cease to provide useful output (~1kHz).

Alex

8. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bill,

What kind of solution would you suggest instead?

MM

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'm sure Bill would recommend either building or buying systems designed specifically for line array use - or just not bothering - unless you research how line arrays work and what is required... and then begin to have an idea how you would meet your needs with your own design built around line array principles.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The main misconception about multi-way line arrays is that they're a bunch of point source cabs (that's what commercial electric bass cabs are) vertically stacked, where in truth a line arrayable cab is a line source in and of itself, so all that differs between using one and using ten is how high the array will go. Like this, for example:
    [​IMG]
    Note how the HF horn extends vertically the full height of the cab. No commercial 2 way bass cabs have that feature. If you want to create a true line array you're pretty much limited to either DIY or some fairly expensive PA cabs,

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Quickie brochure on Peavey's new Versarray system with some pictoral and specs for insight:

http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/brochures/Versarray.pdf

Notice that each element in this system is used down to around 120 Hz, and then using an active crossover/SMS one has subwoofer handling the lower content. Typical of the concept with many quickie-rigging line arrays.

[​IMG]

12. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Or like this, one of Bill's designs.

[​IMG]
    And just at tad less expensive than that JBL.

13. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    How many Acme's do you plan to stack to get that high? Hopefully you have access to a portable nuclear reactor to power'em...

Lonnybass

14. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Say, that would make for a cool high school science project, wouldn't it? :meh:

I'm thinking of three Acmes for the stack - which would actually come to about five feet, nine inches - although I wouldn't rule out ultimately getting four of 'em, which would come to about seven feet, eight inches :eek:

The portable nuclear reactor would be a Carvin B1500... :cool:

MM

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021