1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cab choice: 2x10 or 4x8 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yodedude2, Sep 13, 2008.

1. 2x10", natch.

52 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. 4X8", obviously.

20 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. are you mad?

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    be gentle with me, bass brethren, for this is my first poll attempt.

say you are me. say you are giging outdoors and will be using a 1x18" cab full range underneath another cab. say all things are equal (knowing they never are). what cab would you choose to go on top (full range): a 2x10" or a 4X8"? thanks much, ron

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2x10.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    You need more bigger speakers.

4. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    10" def

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    2x10

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    For me it's easily the 4x8. I've been using an Ampeg stack on and off for the last 8 years. I've got a 1x15, a 2x10 and a 4x8. I always favor the 4x8 over the 2x10 on top of the 15 . Bigger cab equaled bigger sound and the 8's had more punch than the 10's did. Not many people have played a 4x8, they're not easy to find, maybe you should just ask those who've actually owned both to vote.

7. I run an Avatar Neo 2x12 with my Big Bertha with a Peavey Classic 400....I'm in heaven.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Cool!

I'm running a Musicman 2X12 with a BigBen And a MesaBoogie 400+ :bassist:

9. Wouldn't 4x8" speakers have more cone area than a 2x10"? I'd go with more speaker area than bigger speakers.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    2x8 or 2x6, sealed back midrange drivers, either bi-amped or passively crossed over at 800 Hz. With the 18 handling the bottom end there's no need for anything larger on the top, and running the 18 full range is just wasting watts since it can't make use of anything above 800 Hz anyway,

11. 10's or 12's, depending on what you want.

12. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    thanks for the response, bill. you've caught me by surprise with your advice; permit me to ask: why sealed-back drivers? would sealed-back drivers be required since they are to be in a separate cab anyway? i have a passive peavey crossover that crosses over at 150 hz., would it be beneficial to use in such a setup or should i stick with an 800 hz crossover?

btw, these are the cabs i am working with:

carvin br118 / hartke 2x10 / swr 4x8 ... i also have an lds 2x8 i could use...thanks much, ron

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Sealed back mids are optimized to work best above 500 Hz. You could mount a pair plus crossover in a simple home made box small enough to carry under your arm, with an output jack to connect the 18 to the low frequency output from the crossover.
    Crossing at 150 Hz would require a full range cab on top, and all you'd gain in so doing is a bigger load. One 18 should deliver all the output you need to 800 Hz.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Work with what you have for now, and try with and without that passive crossover.

Crossover frequency is chosen to best match up with the drivers being used. In the case you present 150 or 200 Hz is fine. 800 Hz is for small-format MIDRANGE drivers, and not larger midbass drivers or full-range woofers.

...With true midrange cones, sealed cabs are often chosen as they aren't intended to reproduce lower frequencies anyway, and the lower-end boost porting provides isn't then needed.

15. Reading that you will use a crossover. I would look into impedance matching. 1st What load is the crossover point rate at? 4ohm, 8ohm etc. If you run a different load the cross over point will change. So if the load is "X" you will need "X" load on the low pass and "X" on the high pass side, for factory ratings. Depending on the type of crossover it is will affect how the crossover point changes.

In general more load will lower the crossover point, and less resistance will raise it. So if it is rated: 150hz@8ohm. Then it should be around 300hz@4ohm, or 600hz@2ohm. On mixed loads about 275hz@8&4ohm, 375hz@8&2ohm, and about 450hz@4&2ohm. But these estimates could vary due to different curcuits use in crossovers.

Just my opinion. but I think the 1x18 with the 2x10+2x8 on top. Would give you great coverage and response. Plus you carry 1 large cab w/ 2 smaller cabs vs. 2 large cabs. And the flexablity, on gigs the 18 + one 2x cab, the other, or both could be done easily via a/b/both type of foot switch.

BTW my orginal vote was 4x8", as us "small speaker" guys need to grow in numbers, lol. (there's nothing wrong with clean mids)

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Here's the writeup on the Peavey:

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116809/ECS(R) 150X.cfm

Don't go stack crazy here, you're likely to lose about as much through phase interference and dispersion interaction regardless of meeting ohm load requirements anyway. Not to mention that at least one of those cabs should be able to keep up with the 18 anyway, in terms of how many dBs are wanted at what frequencies.

17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Perfect cab to go on top of a 1x18? Another 1x18. :ninja: :bassist:

18. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas

thanks greenboy!!!...so would you go with the 2x10 or 4x8 on top?????

...or did you vote 'are you mad?'...later, ron

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    yodedude2,

As long as you aren't presenting a lower load than your head/amp can deal with, just experiment, listening at various close and moderate distances. Nobody can really say what you will like the best when playing near your rig, so any advice other than the ohm thing is just subjective {or worse ; }

It's also a great way to develop/hone your acoustic perceptions and "find your sound". Good fun, mang!