cab choice for my trace elliot...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification

my current setup is...

trace elliot 200 watt head @4 ohm. an old 1x15 combo-turned-cab warwick with an eminence speakter (200watts at 4 ohm). and my beloved bass - oak/maple/emg 7 kg monster.

the tone i get from it is almost perfect for my blues band - gives a lot of wallop - extremely defined and powerfull lows, with a lot of signature tarce elliot midrange grind. i have no tweeter so the higs are not quite there, but that doesn`t bother me.

the problem is, that a single 1x15 is not to fast, and it tends go get a bit muddy while playing faster stuff - i think about adding a 2x10 or maybe replacing the 1x15 with an 4x10.

So my questions are,

1. can i modify my cab from 4 to 8ohm, so I can connect it to my head with an additional 2x10 cab? is that a common procedure for a amp tech? if yes, will the 2x10 help me with my problem?

2. if no, could you recommend a 4x10 cab wich wouldn take too much of my low end, and be a little more precise?
  2. Its not possibe to re-wire your 1x15" 4ohm cab into 8 without fitting a new driver... Peavey 410TVX. I have one, the lows are really quite devastating, mids are sweet and it has a HF horn so the top end is as transparent as you like. Its a very punchy responsive cab, in my opinion the best 410 ive played through never mind owned. It beat my Trace elliot 410 (1048H) cab into the ground to the point where i sold it and just ran the peavey. It is available in 4 and 8 ohm versions so you still get the full 200w from your amp. I put a Trace V4 amp into it, very highly recomended...