Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab choice help - berg - epi - agui - ash ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by takemusu, Oct 30, 2002.

1. takemusu

takemusu

May 6, 2002
    I need some help deciding on speakers to go with my future head. I tried out an Ashdown ABM-500 EVO and loved it, so I will be ordering that soon. I'll be mostly playing a G&L L-2000 through this rig, if that invokes any additional help..

I'm considering Bergantino, Epifani, Aguilar or Ashdown for cabs. Either a 2x10(perhaps 4x10 later) & 1x15 or 2x12.

Any advice on the differences between these companies would really be appreciated. Advice on speaker size would also be helpful. I've gone through the archives but couldn't put together a really comprehensive answer, so sorry if I'm covering old territory.

Thanks in advance!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Here's my take:

Ashdown - sounds great with ashdown heads, sounds like crap with anything else that i've tried. big bottom, reminds me of Ampeg

Epifani - like EA but not quite as bright - still has that upper mids bump which cuts through the mix well. really nice defined tone

Bergantino - between Aguilar & epifini - not as beefy as Ag but not as bright as epifini. smoother overall

Aguilar - fat, beefy, punchy. not too bright (like most of us).

HOWEVER i'd strongly suggest going with Ashdown speaks with your ashdown head - to me, the ashdown head with anything other than an ashdown cab just sounds like cardboard.

Size?

2x10 - bright punch
    4x10 - still bright & punchy, but much more depth
    1x15 - deep (unless its bagend) and warm. not as much clarity, but much fatter
    2x12 - to me, the best of both worlds. not even close to as punchy as the 10"s but not as indistinct as the 15".

As always, it all depends on the tone you're looking to get - and believe me, that too will change!

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Bergantino 2/12 has massive sound for a cab of it's size.....I you wanted one cab to haul, I would checkout one of the newer 2/12 cabs that the better cabinet makers are making these days.

4. I second the Berg 212. You do need a lot of watts to "open" it up though. I don't know much about Ashdown I didn't care for them. I didn't try them with Ashdown speakers, so that could have been my mistake in not caring for them. I don't really like Epifani that much either, sounded to "airy" to me but my bass maker (Lakland) loves Ashdown Amps and Epifani speakers and uses them at his shop, among many others brands. But for me it was the Bergantinos. As Jerry always says "purity" and he's right.

Hey Jer, I just the Berg HT112 last night. :D

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm gigging with this tonight!!!!

[​IMG]

HT112!!!

man, i haven't played out in months.

at least i'll have my V-Bass to keep me company.

f

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if we posted this up as a "sticky", there'd be only half of the usual posts here on the Amp forum...

nice summation, Van!