Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stupid4252, Feb 28, 2005.

1. stupid4252

stupid4252

Apr 13, 2004
    i recently got a new amp, and a single 15" cab, and i have been wanting to get a cab to sit on top of the 15, so i was wondering if i could get a guitar 4x12 cab and plug it through the high freq out on my amp

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    you could, it wouldn't sound that good.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

What amp? Are you sure the high freq. output is powered, and not line level?

4. stupid4252

stupid4252

Apr 13, 2004
    it is a carvin redline 600 series 3

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You may have the expierence that I had. It will sound really good, but the speakers won't be able to handle the frequencies you put out for long. Then you'll notice a large decrease in volume and they'll start sounding crappy.

I'd love to get my hands on a bass 4x12, but I;m prolly gonna go schroeder instead and solve all my problems :D

6. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yeah.. my policy is never to jerry-rig something for a little bit. It might technically "work" but I would just suck it up and get a real cab. Just my $0.02

7. I have the Carvin R1000 and i know what you are talking about for the two power amps. First of all make sure that you have your button switched to biamp if you add another cab, and dont plug into the "bridge" port on the back. You can have that thing setup for stereo power outputs with equal distribution of tone "full range" to two cabs or via tweaking the crossover frequency and changing the front panel switch from "full range" to "bi amp" you can have two cabs hooked up on the high and low range power amps. The reason i brough all that up is because between the bridging and the biamping/full range buttons and seperate output jacks on the back it can get very confusing as that amp has a very steep learning curve as i know first hand having it for 2.5 years and only getting the hang of it now, just trying to pass on some advice from Carvin owner to Carvin owner. Now as for the question on the cab, hooking up a guitar cab would not be a good idea just because even the high register stuff is still pretty low frequency sounds and those speakers just arent made for that. If you play with distortion and no real low end it will sound fine, but with any good low end those speakers wont last long, then by the money you saved getting a guitar one instead of a bass on you will pay by buying a new bass one any! :D
    Cheers, and if you want or need any other info on the Carvin let me know.