1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cab combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by helprobots, Mar 21, 2006.

1. helprobots

helprobots

Mar 21, 2006
    sorry, sorta new at this.

play in rock band. have ampeg b-4r amp and 1 svt-410hlf cab. i would like to upgrade and add a second cab. a single 15 or 18 maybe. i don't really want to stack my 10s ontop of a 15 or 18, so it'd have to be on top. is there an advantage to having the bigger speaker on the bottom of the stack?? is it better to have an extra 15 or the 18? someone is selling an carvin rl118 locally for $200 would that work with my setup?

thanks

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If the Carvin is a 4 ohm cabinet it should work with you B4R. The B4R is rated at 340 watts per channel @ 4 ohm. the 410hlf is a 4 ohm so you really want to keep them the same. You can't bridge mono the two 4 ohms to get a 2 ohm load,
    the B4R isn't rated to do that.

As for putting the bigger cab on the bottom. It's up to you. I prefer to run a bigger (15") on the bottom and tens on the top because you can "feel" the 15" more through the floor. You don't really hear the 15" as much in a loud mix. The 10's will punch more and cut through the mix. I feel that the faster moving tens project more and work better on top. High frequencies get absorbed by bodies, walls and other structures in a room so I like them up higher.

If you just don't want to lift that 410hlf onto the 18" cab at every gig. I don't blame you. If I had to do it at every gig than I might have an argument for tens on the bottom.:smug:

I'm sure that there are those that will dispute my claim. That's ok because my take on this is not scientific it's just what I hear when I do a Front of House mix.

Hope that helps.