Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab combinations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vkgphil, Sep 29, 2005.

1. a 410 cab with a matched 115 cab

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. two matched 410 cabs

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. vkgphil

vkgphil

Mar 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    which combination in your opinion is better:

a 410 cab matched with a 115 cab

or

two 410 cabs?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like the 2 410s, on the condition that they are high quality cabs with high quality speakers.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    My most awesome rig so far has been 2 Ampeg BXT 4x10 cabs powered by an svt. I got tired of carrying it around, so its gone.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I seem to have better results with matched cab's. 2 2x10's currently. I spread the cab's rather than stack though. For me they are often monitors rather than mains. 1 cab for each side of the stage and I keep the overall volume per cab a little low...

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I like the 410/115 setup when you can control the output of each cab. I did that with an Ampeg BXT410 and 115, and had them running on separate channels of a QSC RMX1450. When you can just stand there and adjust the output of the separate cabs, you can really nail the tone your looking for. For me, I usually ended up turning the 410 up till I was happy with the volume... then I'd nudge the 115 up to fill in the low end s'more. Really an underrated setup as far as flexibility... but its a lotta crap to carry around.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's the right way to do it, and it works even better with an electronic crossover. Fifteens work best in the low end, tens best in the high end, and a well balanced system uses not just one or the other but both. The trouble is that far more often than not no attention is paid to properly assigning to each cabinet those frequencies that each best handles, and then neither works as well as it could.

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    This is one of the reasons why I went with two cabs that were identical. I powered them with a 4 pro witch does not have seperarate volume controls

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I tried running a 4x10 and a 1x15 bi-amped with an Ampeg B-4R, and I did like it, but I ended up running them mono-bridged, and with some EQ-ing I like the sound of it better, and I ended up with 1000 watts instead of 200 per channel, lot's more head room.

9. vkgphil

vkgphil

Mar 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    so its running 50/50 at the moment

i have a peavey max700 head and a peavey 410tvx cab. i am leaning towards a second 410 tvx but it would be cheaper to go with the peavey 115. i have run it with a hartke 410 as a second cab and also with a behringer 115 and between those i prefer the hartke 410, which is why i am thinking another tvx would be awesome. (trading the other two cabs in toward that)...

10. I like the 410 215 setup :D , would love an 810, but that'd be overkill

11. vkgphil

vkgphil

Mar 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    so mohawk, your rig is most similar to where I am.

i absolutely love those tvx cabs. maybe i need to consider this 215 idea... but why not go with the second 410? is weight the issue?

i didn't see those cabs on the peavey site... older cab? pic?