Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab/combo question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jul 28, 2001.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Hey, I'm fairly new to bass (only 4 months) and I think I need a "bigger" sound. I want to buy a cab, but don't have the money to buy a cab and a head. I was wondering if i could use the output jack on my small combo and plug it into a cab. Any help would be great!

2. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Well, I'm not very sure about whether you could do such a thing (I'm fairly new to bass too, about a year...) but if you could, the question would be - is the head on the combo be powerful enough to power the cab? If the head on the combo is 20-60 watts, and the cab is rated at something like 300 watts, then you will only get as much power as you get on your standard combo, as the head won't be powerful enough to run it at the cab at its rated wattage. Im not entirely sure though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Hmm..

is is a speaker-output on your amp, or is it a head-phone output ? if it's headphone output, forget it.. headphone is like.. 75 ohms or something and speakers 4,8 or 16 ohms

how about the minimum ohms for the amp ?

please provide more info, as it is easier to answer the question that way.. :)