Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 17, 2003.

1. how much louder would a 410+115 from avatar than a 2x10+115 from avatar. if i dont go drop tuning would the 15 make much of a differnce? should i get a 4x10+2x10. i play punk and some ska. your opoins are appreciated.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Avatar is vague on the specs of the cabinets so without the sensitivity of each cabinet it would be hard to determine "how loud" one cabinet is to another. Typically a second identical cabinet will add around 3db.
    But this may not hold true going from a 2x10 to a 4x10 as there is a single horn in each.
    I have a Peavey 4x10 and a Peavey 2x10 and the 2x10 is actually slightly louder than the 4x10 when A/B switch is used from a power amp (it is louder with the same amount of power). The 2x10 may be more efficient/sensitive than the 4x10. The 4x10 can handle twice as much power though and it can get louder than the 2x10 before noticable distortion occurs.

I would be concerned at the frequencies listed for the Avatar cabinets though:
    B410: Enclosure is tuned to 65 Hz and the -3dB is 84 Hz.
    B210: Enclosure is tuned to 63 Hz and -3dB is 76 Hz.
    B115H: Enclosure is tuned to 50 Hz and the -3dB is 50 Hz.

The Low E on a 4 string bass is around 41 Hz. The A (open 2nd string) is around 55 Hz. If you are playing alot on the E string or if you plan to Tune lower (such as dropped D) you may want to look at cabinets that produce lower frequencies.
    This can be important if you are playing with 2 guitarists and the only frequencies you will be filling is the octave below them. A guitarist's E would be around 82 Hz so if the guitars play alot in the lower range, you might need a cabinet that produces the lower octave (41hz-82hz) below them if you want to be heard.