Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Comparisons 215XLT vs. 212's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Jun 29, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Sorry for the nature of this thread, but I need help deciding on a new cabinet. I would really like a 2 x 15 cabinet, but am worried about it being to difficult to transport. The model in particular I am interested in is the Eden 215XLT. It is very reasonably priced and receives great reviews. I was wondering if anybody could comment on the transportability of the cabinet and just how well the tilt-back casters work on it. I was also wondering if I would lose all that much sound if I down-sized to a 2 x 12 cabinet. The 2 x 12s I am considering are the Eden 212XLT, Avatar or Dr. Bass 212, and the Schroeder 1212. A 2 x 12 seems like it would be a lot easier to transport, but I fear I wouldn't get the powerful sound I desire. I should mention I only play 4-string basses and recently acquired an Ampeg SVT that I desperately want to hear with a quality cabinet (not the piece of crap I tested the head out on). I play fast aggressive power pop and punk and use a lot of running bass lines. I never really slap, so it's not an issue. I am not looking for a Hi fi sound, but rather a vintage sound (hence the 2 x 15). Would the 215XLT be overkill in a smaller gig? Please offer whatever insight you can on these cabinets and try to steer me in the direction you would condsider best for me. Thanks a lot and I apologize if this seems like a lot of incoherent rambling.

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds like Jorg's 1212 would be just what you're looking for.

Of course, you could e-mail him and get it straight from him, but it sounds exactly like I've heard the 1212 described in the Schroeder thread.

Also, it's smaller and lighter than any of the other cabs you were considering.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hell, it's lighter than the SVT!!!!

Is it a vintage one or a CL?

4. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    It's a Cl, unfortunately. Maybe I'll get a vintage one some day, but I found a deal on this. So am I to understand that the Schroeder cabinets will do the old school tone well? I was worried that they would be too Hi fi for my liking by the way some guys around here talk about them.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Schroeders can do old school, and can also do the hi-fi thing as well (not super harsh hi-fi). They're amazingly versatile.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The aguilar GS212 puts out less low end and output than an Eden D-115 XLT if that tells you anything. The difference between a 12 and a 15 is much greater than the difference between a 10 and a 12 (do the math: calculate cone surface areas).

7. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments. Am I to understand that a Schroeder 1212 could sound as big (for lack of a better word) as a 215? I am also still curious if anybody has any comments as to how difficult it is to move the 215XLT around.

8. The D215XLT is an amazing cab. I plugged into one expecting awesome sound, and I got even better, my dream sound (with the help of a WT400 and a Fender Jazz)! It was really deep, big, and smooth, I didn;t want to get up and leave the store. Incredibly full range is what really suprised me.

I don't think the D215XLT would be that hard to move around at all though.

9. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Anyone have any idea how the 215xlt would cut through in a band situation with 2 hi-gain guitar amps and an insane drummer? I understand Schroeders are supposed to excel here, but my instinct tells me that the 2 x 15 would feel more present and it would save me 100 bucks.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 15's might not cut through as well.

Another 215 you may want to look at is the Bergantino. It's got a 6" mid driver too to help cut through and get some nice top end.