Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab configs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I've ordered my new Behringer head, but it'll be pretty useless on it's own.
    I was hoping someone could give me a quick run-through of the pro's and con's of 1x15s, 2x10s, etc.? Just a super quick one would be fine. I'd like it to have a pretty beefy tone, so it's got some meat to it, but I'd like to have a decent tonal quality to it too. Also, I can only afford one cab at the moment, so it's basically either 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10.
    From the reviews I've read of the Behringer head, they work super well with 2x10's, but they just seem a bit...I dunno, weak looking...
    Thanks for any help,
    Mark.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you can afford a 2x10 or a 4x10, why would you get the 2x10? That makes no sence to me, its like being able to buy a ferrari, but buying the Datsun(or some other sort of old car)
    If you cant decide between the 1x15 and the 4x10, the 4x10 has alot more punch, whereas the 1x15 has alot of bass to it. get both, and you can moida the whole sound spectrum ;)

3. Didn't explain myself well enough before Re: prices and limitations, but ne'er mind ;)

I think it'll have to be the 1x15 'cos I'm gonna go nuts having a new head sitting here and no cab to play it through for 4 months (if I get the 4x10 first...)...

Anyhoo, cheers.

Mark.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Why wouldn't you be able to use it with a 4x10? If you can only get one cab now I'd go with the 4x10. It will give you punch and lows, whereas some 15s can be lacking in the punch.

5. Nah, I didn't explain myself all that welll...
    I thought it was going to take me 4 months to get enough money for the 4x10, whereas I could get the 1x15 next month. However, now I've taken my "Stupid" hat off, I've realised I could get the 4x10 in 2 months, which I think I might just have to do :)

Mark.