1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cab connecting cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. b-ace!


    Jul 15, 2004
    Hello, I've ordered a GK 410 SBX today but i'm confused what type of connecting cable to use between my head and the cab. I have a hartke 3500 head which I'll be using with the GK SBX cab. I read this on the GK site and got confused, please someone help :meh:

    HMS - Horn Management System (Horn Bi-Amp)
    Bass players have always liked the growl they get from slight overdrive. In GK amps this comes partly from the boost circuits and partly from the power amp. The problem is that growl sounds great through woofers and horrible through horns. In the typical full range system with a passive crossover, there is no way to get growl and keep the definition that the horn provides.

    With GK’s Horn Management System, an internal active crossover splits the signal between the main amp which drives the woofer, and a separate 50 watt amp which drives the horn. Both signals are sent through a single four-conductor Speakon cable into a GK HMS compatible cabinet like the 410SBX. This way, we can send an overdriven signal to the woofer while keeping the horn crystal clear. This requires a GK HMS compatible cabinet like the 410SBX and a four-conductor Speakon cable, which is provided with the cabinet.

    Note: Standard Speakon cables are two-conductor and will not support the separate horn signal. Replacement cables may be ordered from GK.


    Set to Bi-amp when using the supplied four-conductor Speakon cable.
    Set to Full Range when using a two-conductor Speakon or ¼” speaker cable.
  2. b-ace!


    Jul 15, 2004
    I know I'm being thick but I honestly am confused, if someone can help that'd be great.
  3. Waabs

    Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

    Aug 1, 2004
    You can use a normal 2 conductor speakon or 1/4 inch cable.

    If you want to use the special GK biamping (which from what I can tell you'd need a GK head) you'd need a 4 conductor speakon. I think you'd need a GK head to do this because it's talking about a seperate 50W amplifier and I this is what the extra two conductors would be for.

    I'm pretty sure this is what they're saying. Someone feel free to knock me on the head if i'm wrong.
  4. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the last sentence of your post from the gk website says it all

    "Set to Full Range when using a two-conductor Speakon or ¼” speaker cable."

    I presume that on the back of the cabinet is a switch to select full range/biamp
  5. b-ace!


    Jul 15, 2004
    ahh i see so my setup will be full range. i can use a 2 conductor speakon cable or a 1/4" cable. thanks for the help guys.

    does the sound differ at all using the different connection cables? and why do they offer two ways of connection? is one cable more preferred than the other?

    sorry about all the questions everyone. I really do appreciate your help.
  6. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the cabinet has a passive crossover that delivers the lows to the woofers and the highs to the horn tweeter
    in the bi amp mode using a gk head the amp uses an active crossover to split the highs and lows and amplifies them seperately then send seperate signals to the woofers and horn tweeter and bypasses the passive crossover in the cabinet entirely
    i'm sure the cabinet sounds fine in the full range mode as most bass cabinets are wired that way