Cab Farting Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Jul 27, 2021.

1. I'm running a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.0 through a single Bergantino HD112

I'm having trouble keeping up with the band while and maintaining clarity in my tones and such. It seems like the cones just can't deliver enough power and tone to keep up with drums, guitar and vocals.

What is the best thing to pair my single Bergantino HD112 with? I'm guessing either another of the same or a HD210?

What would be the main differences between those 2 setups?

Am I able to pair it with the HDN series instead of the HD series?

Thanks!!

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I won't pretend to know but I'd think you can email or call Bergantino and ask whether they recommend another 12" or if 2x10" is compatible. Most here will say get another of what you have but sometimes different cabs end up being compatible, sometimes not.

3. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I can't answer your question about the speaker series but I can tell you that if you are having trouble keeping up with a band, a second 112 is the most logical solution. That head is pushing 500 watts at 8 ohms; a second cabinet in addition to handling more power, will get the speakers up closer to your ear allowing you to hear better. I've had multiple cab rigs (several 2x112, currently 2x110) and 2 cabs always works better. Its almost like 1+1=3.

Coot, HolmeBass, Runlikegregg and 8 others like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Agreed, that's a lot of power for any 350 watt RMS rated single 12. What I think the OP is experiencing is simply not enough "rig for the gig". Doubling up with another of the same cabinet is a safe choice, but I also suggest giving Jim a call to see what he might suggest.

Doubling up on the same cabinet is going to be a very significant upgrade IME.

Coot, Obese Chess, SirMjac28 and 17 others like this.
  5. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Agree! When I got my 1st 1x12" cab years ago it was marginal in it's performance. When I added a 2nd 1x12" it was as if I had added 2 more! Synergistic effect.

6. I found my single Bergantino HT112ER slightly underwhelming when used on its own but paired with a EX112ER was another thing altogether. Now that I own two HD210 however, the HT/EX cabs have stayed at home. Even a single HD210 is surprisingly capable and will pair well with your HD112.
    In fact the old HT322 was a 210 and 112 single cab.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    HolmeBass, EatS1stBassist and shoot-r like this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm guessing your band is loud. I've gigged with an 8ohm 112 Peavey Headliner and a Markbass LMIII on top. Plenty of juice. But my band was a Pop Top40 outfit.

Get another matching cab.

dbase and MycooLeeyun like this.
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    What DWbass said ... get another matching 12... it can push a lot of air.
    20190824_190838.jpg

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'll just pile on and say that you should get a matching HD112.

I'll also add that I previously owned an HD210 and it was possibly the nicest sounding cab I've ever owned. I'm no longer interested in carrying non lightweight cabs to gigs since I'm mostly doing in-ear dates these days, but the memory of that cab still haunts my dreams. Perfectly voiced for my needs and I'm sure many others.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Lot of power for one small cab. Hope it isn't damaged.

HolmeBass, Jeff Scott and MycooLeeyun like this.
  11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Yup, you can easily toast that cab with that amp. You need more power handling, more cones.

SC Bassboy, MycooLeeyun and jeff7bass like this.
  12. Thank you for the heads up!! Getting a 2nd cab asap

13. When I added a second enclosure my amp sounded 4 times better. I realize that is a subjective statement and your mileage may vary.:thumbsup:

14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    CBD54618-524F-4C11-AA6A-2C792A1AF854.jpeg
    This works to.

Coot and Aqualung60 like this.
  15. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Check back to let us know how it goes. I for one am chasing similar issues. Coming from an Acoustic 415 cab to an Eden 410 and at times 610 I just cannot get myself to like a single 210 cabinet. Even at semi low volumes. However I tried a 210 on top of a 115 and liked it. Also a 210 on top of another 210 was good.

I would like to try two 112's in the future.

Runlikegregg and MycooLeeyun like this.
  16. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I have paired up several Berg cabs with excellent results. The HD 210 works incredibly well. You can’t go wrong with a HD112. The 2 cabs together will give you what your looking for. I used a Genz Benz Shuttlemax with 2 HD112 berg cabs for years.

Zbass82, Sparky Mark and MycooLeeyun like this.
  17. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Sounds like you may have your solution already, but isn’t Jim Bergantino on here?

18. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I ran a pr of berg 112s with 1000 watt pre-power amp setup. It had no trouble keeping up. I'd add another 112

19. CJC6

CJC6 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2020
    You can pair it with any other 8ohm cab and you’ll be happy with the result for what you’re after. I liked my Mesa subway 2x10 with a Berg CN112. Two great cabs that are even better together.

20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    A 210 will be louder than 112, but not much. Another same 12 will do you wonders.

EatS1stBassist and MycooLeeyun like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021