Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab farting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 16, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ok heres the story:

my old bass head (amper model v-9) is in the repair shop and my new custom amp is still being constructed so i am borrowing a friends guitar head (marshall jcm 900, 100 watts 4, 8, or 16 ohm) i used this during practice wth an ampeg 8x10, the head got pretty loud but didnt have low end obviously, although it did give some sweet mids, and the sound was tight.

ok the question:

i recently bought a carvin RL115 cabinet, and have only used the marshall with it, while i am still waiting on the other 2 amps. i notcie that i get a bad 'fart' sound on louder volumes with lower notes. i am wondering if it is the head or the amp that is farting. and also on the 8x10, it only farts on extreme 'trying to match te guitarists' volume which was more than the 15 which is just a nice medium level.

any help is appreciated thanks

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    More than likely it's the head. Not enough power. Be VERY careful because you're probably real close to burning up a voice coil!!

3. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    It's been my experience that when it comes to actual "farting", a drummer is usually involved. I'd tried sprinkling BEANO in a hexagon configuration around your gear and see if the sound goes away. :meh:

Serious reply........how high do you have the master turned up...........and how high is the channel input?

Peace,
    RB

PS: Are you SURE that your drummer's not in the room?

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    did anybody else find it "odd" that this thread was started by "Stinky634"???:eek:

sounds like a volume thing...unless you're going for "silent but deadly"...:D

5. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    1. the drummer is definitly not in the room, on the other hand i am, and my name stinky does come from having a truly "silent but deadly" fart

2. the volume is up all the way in both cases but what makes the loudness and the fart is the amount of gain, but with this amp the gain up until 3 just gives volume, but that is where the farting kicks in, but i dont kow if its he head or the cab

3. no amount of BEANO could save anyone from my deadly fumes

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    i love the honesty in this thread. Stinky...you give me inspiration to continue work on perfecting my noxious blasts...;)

7. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    i never knew i could inspire anyone to do anything, but im glad tha if anything, my farts are inspiration.

also i had weinerschnitzel for lunch today and mexican food last night so i should be coming up with some real burners tonight. i you live anywhere near california, i would advise you to close your windows and doors tinight.:cool:

8. Simple, your 100 watt head doesn't have the power to support low notes. The lower the frequency, the more wattage it takes to produce the note. I wouldn't use such a low power head, as that farting noise may cause your voice coils to burn up.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Our drummer likes to fart a lot...I'm seeing this must be pretty common in band situations. He even has a sticker on his kick-drum with a stick man farting on another that says, "Farting on your friends is fun."
    :p