cab finish

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by W.J., Jan 29, 2001.

1. W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Hi again,

I'm building my own cab and I was wondering what I should use as a finish , to protect my cab and to look nice !!
    my current cab has a plastic finish but that woudn't be
    possible... i think ..

2. Here's what I do.

I use PE felt covering, like they use on car subs and car trunk interiors. Ask the car stereo shop about it. I attach it with spray can glue.

For protection I use big stackable plastic or black steel corners, like you see on PA cabs. And for heavy duty stuff I put plastic L-corner strips on all edges.

For really heavy duty use, you could put flightcasing stuff on it. Steel ball corners, HPL Quartz surface covering, and aluminium edges.

There are pictures of my stuff on my home page, follow the link below in my signature.

[Edited by Joris on 01-29-2001 at 06:09 AM]
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Applying tolex or carpet requires curtting the material to size and gluing.

It's actually easier just to paint it with a coat or two of epoxy. This is what is commonly used on pro audio enclosures and actually works very well. I have some old EAW bass cabs finished in epoxy and they have held up very well over the years.

Any woodworking experts out there who can shed more light on using epoxy?
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You could cover it in plastic a la Kustom's bass and guitar amps. It's like plush, but covered in plastic or some kind of vinyl. (My guitarist has a Kustom head from a looong time ago with cheap black vinyl, it's pretty cool.) Anywho, they made them with red and blue and other funky colors. Just a wacky option to consider.
  5. I have made many cabs, and finished all of them in black felt carpet, same as 90% of PA cabs and Bass cabs. Sure it requires gluing, it's no big deal. The carpet and all the stacking corners, handles, speaker grilles etc can be bought from many companies that build cabs. I presume you are in the USA, so it's no good me giving you any addresses, as I live in New Zealand, but as an example, there are two suppliers in my city.