Cab for 3015

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ampslut, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Checkered table finished.jpg I'm considering building some cabs for the 3015 neo 15. I am a pretty good furniture maker (see above table) and I have a decent shop. I've read the recommendations from Eminence but there are a few abbreviations that I don't know exactly what they mean. What does Vb and V(total) mean? When it mentions the Vent specs. What does Dv and Lv mean? I have never made speaker cabinets but I think I would like to try some. If someone could clarify this a little for me I would be very appreciative.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015_cab.pdf

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Vb = net internal box volume. This is the volume the modeling program uses for its calculations.

V(total) = the volume that you, the builder, use when making the box. V(total) minus volume occupied by the woofer and minus volume occupied by the ports = Vb. If you want to be really precise, increase V(total) by the volume occupied by the bracing.

Dv = diameter of the vent (or port).

Lv = length of the vent (or port).

wave rider and Ampslut like this.
  3. Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I'm gonna make this as exact as it can be made. I'll use 3/4 plywood so bracing should not be necessary. I have a brad nailer, biscuit jointer, pocket screw jig, table saw, miter saw drill press etc. I have all the tools needed. I just have never made speaker cabs before. Using foam insulation, how do you add it's volume to the equation? What is the best adhesive for this type of work? For furniture I use Titebond but for this I think I would probably need something different. I've seen PL mentioned but I'm not familiar with it.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Assuming it's open-cell foam, treat it like it was just air, as far as your internal volume calculations. In other words, ignore it.

I use Titebond III, my woodworker guru told me that it holds up better than the other Titebonds when subjected to freezing temperatures, and some of my cabs end up pretty far north. But nothing wrong with PL Adhesive! It's found in the calk gun tube section at Lowes or Home Depot.

I have a home-made router table that I use for dados and rabbets, but nothing wrong with biscuits joints and pocket screws! I use a lightweight plywood that makes braces pretty much mandatory, and the dados help align the boards and compensate for my poor woodworking skills.

wave rider and Ampslut like this.
  5. Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Titebond III is hard to beat so I'll stay with it and caulk the joints as well. Dados and rabbets are the bomb, biscuits and pockets are how I started out so it is what I use. I personally just need to know how to measure for the internal volume and the vents and I'll figure out the rest. I don't really care about size or weight, I just want it to sound the best it can.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  7. Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Looks like a dead ringer for my 1968 Sunn Sorado 2x15 which is the best bass cab I've ever play through. It is however, made from 1" that's ONE INCH plywood. The grill cloth got ripped, had to replace with these ugly covers, (sorry). It started out as a rental with Sunn transducers and a 200s head. I stopped using the Sunn head about 1999 and and replaced it with a Peavey Mark IV, ditched the transducers and added the EVM's L's. Now when I need it, I use it with an Ampeg PF500. The sound is TO DIE FOR!!!! Sunn cab.jpg

deathness and Stumbo like this.
  8. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    You should consider the BFM Simplexx 15, Jack 15 and Jack Light 15. The engineering is state of the art, and you won't have any questions that aren't answered in the plans. With your woodworking skills the Jack Light 15 should be right up your alley.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    A Fearful 15/6 would be my second choice.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021